Business Development Manager
To drive the exploitation of commercial opportunities in Standards & Compliance publishing.
Reports to: Head of Practitioner Publishing
Accountable to: Director of Knowledge
Hours: 35 hours per week, exclusive of meal breaks, plus as many as required to fulfill the needs of the post
Location: Michael Faraday House, Stevenage
To drive the exploitation of commercial opportunities in Standards & Compliance publishing. Including the development of new standards and related compliance publications, implementation of digital product and web development, and implementation of the learning and development strategy associated with the standards and compliance programme.
Main Duties and Responsibilities (not necessarily in priority order)
- To deliver on the operational and strategic plans for new standards development to fully exploit existing competencies to grow revenues and diversify dependence on the electrical wiring market;
- To manage the development and implementation of digital channels and subscription business models for Standards & Compliance to smooth income, grow revenues and secure new customers;
- To work closely with the Technical Regulations Manager to develop a product roadmap for S&C and ensure that operational and digital resources are managed effectively across the department;
- To work with the Head of Practitioner Publishing to investigate, develop and implement new business models to ensure the financial sustainability of new standards development;
- To working with the Learning & Development manager to grow income from training and accreditation related business;
- To manage and develop a team in a matrix environment;
- To undertake any other duties and projects at the request of the line manager;
- To comply with data protection legislation and act responsibly on matters of data disclosure both internally and to third parties;
- To be familiar with the Health and Safety and Fire policies for the organisation and to attend mandatory updates where required.
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent;
- Successful career in a compliance publishing business development with demonstrable track record in revenue generation and growth;
- Strong understanding of digital publishing;
- Proven track record of initiating and building successful business relationships and partnerships;
- Ability to generate research and development programmes for new products and to implement viable results;
- Evidence of strategic insight and the ability to deal with complexity;
- Able to demonstrate and apply the financial principles underlying a successful publishing programme;
- Proven organizational, time management and planning skills;
- Advanced problem solving and negotiation skills;
- Passion for customer service.
- Experience in the engineering sector;
- Behavioural / Operational / Technical skills or knowledge that would be helpful in the role.