Assistant Features Editor
To write, edit or otherwise prepare for publication articles for Engineering & Technology (E&T) magazine and its associated web sites, on schedule and to budget, with the highest editorial standards.
Reports to: Sector Editor
Accountable to: Director of Publishing
Hours: 35 hours per week, exclusive of meal breaks, plus as many as required to fulfill the needs of the post
Location: Michael Faraday House, Stevenage
Main duties and responsibilities
- To write, edit or otherwise prepare for publication articles, news and other material for issues of E&T, to predetermined schedule and page budget;
- To assist in soliciting content for E&T;
- To undertake travel to events for reporting purposes where necessary;
- To work with designers, picture editor, news and features editors and other colleagues to source appropriate illustrative material and to help to produce attractive and efficient layouts for E&T and associated web sites;
- To ensure adherence to the E&T values, pillars, style guide and templates;
- Communication with the Managing Editor, other publishing colleagues and IET staff;
- To assist in editorial and production processes where required;
- To cover a ‘beat’ in E&T magazine’s specialist features;
- To contribute to IET.TV reports, online news and other editorial to the E&T web site where required;
- To deputise for the sector editor in their absence;
- Other editorial work as needed;
- To undertake any other duties and projects at the request of the line manager;
- To comply with data protection legislation and act responsibly on matters of data disclosure both internally and to third parties;
- To be familiar with the Health and Safety and Fire policies for the organisation and to attend mandatory updates where required.
- Education to degree level;
- Ability to understand complex material and to produce clear and accurate English, to the highest editorial standards, with meticulous attention to detail;
- Use of industry-standard editorial techniques and conventions;
- Some knowledge of print and publishing processes for magazines;
- Good communication skills and planning to ensure a stream of material for future issues while ensuring that immediate issues are filled;
- Experience of word processing and DTP packages, graphics formats and e-mail;
- Some experience of journalism – print and / or online.
- Demonstration of good news sense and ability to identify news stories;
- Reporting experience on trade or business publication, preferably a weekly newspaper;
- Portfolio of news and features stories;
- Ability to understand picture formats and know where to source appropriate photographs to illustrate stories;
- Some experience of podcast recording and editing.