To be responsible for the preservation, development, promotion and use of the IET Archives.
Reports to: Manager of Library & Archives
Accountable to: Director of Knowledge
Hours: 35 hours per week, exclusive of meal breaks
Location: Savoy Place, London
Main Duties and Responsibilities (Not necessarily in priority order)
- Manage the Archives Centre, including storage areas and researcher space;
- Enable and promote access to and use of the Archives;
- Ensure appropriate and secure accommodation for the collections both on- and off-site;
- Manage retrieval service for offsite collections;
- Supervise the work of the Assistant Archivist and project staff;
- Manage projects as required;
- Write and review policies as required;
- Assist with business planning and budgeting;
- Liaise with other organisations and represent the IET;
- Manage the History of Technology TPN (Technical and Professional Network);
- Manage the Archives and TPN websites;
- Approve acquisitions to the collections in line with the Collections Management Policy;
- To contribute to the provision of Library Reading Room services when appropriate;
- To undertake any other duties and projects at the request of the line manager;
- To comply with data protection legislation and act responsibly on matters of data disclosure both internally and to third parties;
- To be familiar with the Health and Safety and Fire policies for the company and to attend mandatory updates where required.
This job description is intended as a general guide to the scope of the post and may change in line with the needs of the service or at the request of the line manager.
- Graduate with a postgraduate qualification in archives administration;
- At least 3 years’ experience working as a professional archivist;
- Excellent oral and written presentation and communication skills;
- Ability to deal with members and the general public at all levels;
- Good IT skills and experience in using archives databases;
- Project management skills.
- Interest in business history and the history of technology;
- Interest in the preservation of engineering history;
- Interest in digitisation and the management of electronic records;
- Competence in one European foreign language.