IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: CV etiquette - A passport photo .jpg
Topic Summary: Is it professional to display a passport sized picture of yourself on your CV?
Created On: 19 December 2012 10:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 December 2012 10:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

NickyTeasdale

Hi

Is it professional to display a passport sized picture of yourself at the top of your CV?

I'm applying to E.ON for an Internship

"Make sure the style and layout of your CV is easy to read and presented in a professional manner."

Thanks

Nicky
 20 December 2012 08:21 AM

ectophile

I have never heard of such a thing. Why would you need to?

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 20 December 2012 08:46 AM

roybowdler

It is "standard practice" in some countries but has not become common in the UK. Perhaps a polite telephone enquiry would help, if you could identify the person who was likely to receive it. A CV sent speculatively to no-one in particular, doesn't have the best chance.

Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards

Edited: 21 December 2012 at 08:54 AM by roybowdler
 20 December 2012 12:25 PM

amillar

I have noticed that overseas applicants sometimes include a photo, I can't remember ever seeing it from a UK applicant.

In the UK I would say do not unless specifically asked to do so. Under discrimination laws companies are not supposed to be selecting you for your appearance (unless you're applying for a modelling job!), age, race or gender. However, human beings are human beings and you don't want your CV to be dumped because someone doesn't like your photo - remember CV selection happens very fast, and selectors are looking for any excuse to put CVs on the "reject" pile. It is reasonable, however, to be asked to produce photgraphic ID for your interview to prove you are who you say you are.

Of course, the employer may decide to look at your facebook or linkedin page etc, so you may want to think if the photos there reflect how you would like to be seen! Personally if I was recruiting I might look at a linkedin profile but would not look at facebook etc (as I feel that's the candidates own business what they put there), however it is apparently becoming increasingly common for HR departments to look everywhere.

Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 07 February 2013 10:41 AM

Simon750

In the middle east, I see many cv's/resumes with a photo attached.

Nothing out of the ordinary here

Simon Long CMgr FCMI FInstLM
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.