IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How long it takes to arrange a Professional Registration Interview?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10 December 2012 06:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 December 2012 06:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

hpadhi

I have recently applied for CEng registration. I provided 5 supporters for my application and each of them completed their Inquiry form quickly. IET worked faster and I moved to Stage 3 (PRI) stage within a matter of days once they received all Inquiry Forms.

Does anyone know how long it takes for IET to arrange the interview once your application moves to stage 3 team?

Thanks.

Hrushi
(Hrushikesh Padhi BEng MIET)
 18 December 2012 11:48 AM

d80s22

In my case, about 2 months. Application moved to that stage mid-October and I have my PRI tomorrow.

I think it varies by area and depends how busy everyone is!

-------------------------
Dr Robin Collings MIET
 20 February 2013 10:07 AM

faramog

How do you know it went to stage 3 so quickly ?

Normally, if there is a prima-face case (right levels of education, experience apparent etc) then a very brief review can move the candidate to stage 3 where there is a request for interview. Then, ist a bit more random: All interviewers are working (or retired) engineers and there is a balance of getting them together, along with other candidates (as more than one interview takes place) and fixing a venue.

Normally would be 4-8 weeks. The result of the interview should be available to you around 6 weeks later (but again is dependent on volunteer availability).

From application to result, a working target is 3-4 months. It gets longer the more complicated the case (not right levels of education, unusual career, holiday periods, stage 2 assessment etc)

Eur Ing Graham Prebble CEng MIEE
 03 June 2013 10:56 AM

planetz31

I would love to know how an application can be tracked. I submitted just before the career manager went offline for the migration a couple of weeks ago. Paid the fee within 4 hours and just in case sent off my DAP and authenticated coppies of degree certificates on the following working day.

When I paid the assessment fee I was told I would be called soon to walk me through the stages of the process but haven't yet been called. I may just be getting over eager as it has only been a couple of weeks but I work in an area where I can't be reached by phone so I am always worried that I have missed an important call in the process.

Thanks

Amar
 04 June 2013 05:23 AM

MosheW

Most likely you passed and will get your CEng but what happens if you failed PRI?
Can you request another one? Lets say you had bad migraine headache etc and you know you can do better.

Is there a second chance at PRI?

My friend Dave had PRI last week and he was very sick during the PRI, he
feels he failed. Maybe he didn't but if he failed, can he ask for another PRI?
 06 June 2013 01:38 PM

faramog

He should perhaps have told the interviewers. No good coming out thinking it all went badly because he felt sick... we are not mind readers !!

If your friend was unsuccessful then there is an appeals process and his illness would be taken into account. It would be very unusual to not require another interviewer though.

I have to say, we interviewers see many (sometimes 100's ) of candidate over lots of years and I think we are pretty good at picking up if someone is not well and there are signs.

06 June 2013 08:12 PM

MosheW

faramog,

Thanks for your reply. I forwarded it to Dave.
I also suggested he post his questions here. As to his illness he thinks the interviewers picked that he was very slow in answering.
Dave told me that he was so worried he didn't sleep all night.

He will post here once he hears from IET

Thank you
 06 June 2013 10:02 PM

davidwalker2

MosheW,

Graham is absolutely correct in what he has posted. However, the PRI is Stage 3 of a 4 stage process. The interviewers make a recommendation, and then a panel of 3 or 4 experienced assessors from the same industry sector of the candidate review all the paperwork, including application, stage 1/2 report, supporters information, interviewers recommendation. If there is any disparity then there will be a further discussion, which may include the full Registration Group members, before a decision is made. If that then goes against the applicant, then they can invoke the appeals process.

David
 07 June 2013 09:21 AM

MosheW

Thank you David.
Its good to know how involved and serious the process is, it adds to the credibility of the registration.
I'm an IEng and advanced to PRI stage for CEng registration.
CEng is a benchmark I aim to achieve.

I see Graham Prebble still keeps his MIEE post nominals.

I had my first post nominals in 1985 AMIE when I became an Associate member of the Institute of Engineers and Technicians.
IET merged to form IIE and later IIE merged with IEE to form IET .

Your comments made my friend Dave feel better about his chances.
 03 July 2013 02:19 PM

faramog

Moshe ... I do indeed. When the IEE became the IET there was a bit of a flap and I guess I never got round to changing it. I became chartered under the IEE and was resistant to the change as the IEE was (and still is) a world Brand, but I still fear the IET is not quite as robust a brand .. all very personal stuff

07 July 2013 01:53 PM

MosheW

My friend David passed the PRI successfully.
The whole process to become CEng was around 16 months.

Both of our names will be on the next EngC list of new registered CEng.
 10 July 2013 06:13 AM

SAVIO

About 1-month.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.