Topic Title: Engineering Council Registration Card
Topic Summary:
Created On: 25 January 2011 12:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 February 2011 09:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

amillar

Originally posted by: simongallagher
There are still pleanty more who want things changed, but are not prepared to give the time and effort to change things!

Mea Culpa. Having just given up a couple of other voluntary/committee functions I did seriously wonder about standing for one of the IET bodies, but then remembered why I gave up the other things (i.e. life's too short and families grow up too fast!).

I don't count being on the LN committee because that's fun

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 03 February 2011 11:17 AM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: amillar
History shows that, for example, a strong feeling on these forums does not neccesarily represent a strong feeling across the membership (those of us who were in the IEE before the "merger / name change" know this very well, these forums were almost unanimously opposed to it!).

Well why don't they introduce optional extras to the basic membership fees. That way anyone who want CEng or IEng etc on their card can purchase it at cost price. Then if enough members ask for certain types of optional extras, the IET could negotiate a discount price (like with the Diary) and offer them to members at large at reduced price?
 03 February 2011 01:20 PM

Aitken1953

Lot of common sense being spoken but is anyone listening ?
 09 February 2011 06:19 AM

Aitken1953

Looks like no one is listening
 09 February 2011 06:05 PM

dvaidr

This is inane. Card/not card. What's it going to do for the profession? We're trying to promote the professional standing of Engineers in the UK, and yet we act as though we're only a few months past sixth form college!
 10 February 2011 05:56 AM

Aitken1953

Do you not think having a Professional Engineers Card will go some way to promote engineering ?
 10 February 2011 11:57 AM

danielscott

Originally posted by: dvaidr

This is inane. Card/not card. What's it going to do for the profession? We're trying to promote the professional standing of Engineers in the UK, and yet we act as though we're only a few months past sixth form college!

Dvaidr,

There have been 45 replies to the original posting and maybe 8 members have responded. I don't see the need to suggest they are acting like sixth formers, as they are entitled to their opinions.

Maybe you should look in the mirror, considering some of your previous postings.

Daniel
 10 February 2011 12:14 PM

Aitken1953

Sounds right to me Daniel
 10 February 2011 12:41 PM

agnessegal

Staff are watching this thread. But the position for the moment remains as I stated earlier. The IET will not issue cards with Registration status unless those cards are dated and expire annually.
I am interested that you have the view that there are members who might be willing to pay a realistic cost for an annual card showing their registration status. We can certainly research that idea along with ideas about other membership services.
At present however, the fact that only a very small number of people request letters confirming their membership and registration status leads me to expect that few people would be interested to purchase cards.

Agnes Segal
 10 February 2011 01:02 PM

Aitken1953

Agnes,
Is it not possible to have the facility for those that want to pay ?, some people will not be interested for their own reasons.
 10 February 2011 04:11 PM

agnessegal

It is not possible without some development work. It could be done, but there would have to be sufficient demand to justify the cost of that development. We will put the idea into the pot for consideration.

Agnes Segal
 10 February 2011 04:27 PM

faisal18may1982

Nothing Ventured - Nothing Gained

Agnes, thanks for replying.

I agree with your comments below and understand the reasoning.

"The IET will not issue cards with registration status unless those cards are dated and expire annually."

As mentioned previously, there are only a small number of members who decided to contribute to this forum. Researching the idea (Professional Registration Cards / other services) sounds good to me.

How do the other the fellow institutes handle this service?

Can we have an approx. cost for the registration cards, please?

Can anyone think of an alternative "portable" way of promoting our professional institution?
 14 February 2011 08:33 AM

AndyTaylor

I like the idea of a card, and would be willing to pay £10 or less per year.

Currently there is no obvious need for cards, otherwise they would already exist, but once created they can have their uses e.g. if they carry electronic information they could be useful at IET organised/sponsored events for registration etc.

Andy Taylor CEng MIET
 14 February 2011 10:36 AM

Aitken1953

Andy,
The engineering council used to issue cards for professional registration, if you required a new card it was £5 - Possibly that would be £10 now as it was a while back
 14 February 2011 11:07 AM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: agnessegal
At present however, the fact that only a very small number of people request letters confirming their membership and registration status leads me to expect that few people would be interested to purchase cards.

When the IEE thought up the idea of changing its name to IET, was this due to demand by the majority of members or the few senior IET executives?

If the majority of IET members decide they are disinterested in IT or connecting to the internet, does this mean the IET are happy to go along with their wishes to remain disinterested and so offer a limited online presence for the minority of members who are interested?

Edited: 15 February 2011 at 01:22 PM by mbirdi
 15 February 2011 03:43 PM

manadasor

As a member of the Institute of Personnel and Development I receive each year a new card which has printed on the information that I am Chartered MCIPD.

Ron McMurtrie, CEng FIEE.
 15 February 2011 06:30 PM

jcm256

To help promote the ICT Tech only:
IET is the sole Licensed Member institution for registration of Information and Communications Technology Technician (ICT Tech) on the Engineering Council behalf. For all the few who have registered so far it would not cost that much to provide a IET/ Engineering Council plaque to the ICT Tech employer to put in suitable place where it can be seen by all employees in the IT business. With this sort of promotion you know what happens one name on more will want their name on.

J Moore I Eng MIET
 18 February 2011 06:36 AM

Aitken1953

It is only what anyone would expect Ron, bit silly you cannot demonstrate your professional registration without carrying around your Diploma
 23 September 2013 02:14 PM

Aitken1953

Still no signs that registrants can prove their Level of Registration without carrying around a Diploma
 23 September 2013 06:48 PM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: Aitken1953
Still no signs that registrants can prove their Level of Registration without carrying around a Diploma

Why not take a photo of your Diploma with a smartphone; then you can show it, to anyone, on the screen. Even better would be if the IET had an App for members to create their personal business card for email and printing.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.