Increase font size
Topic Title: IEng Interview
Topic Summary:
Created On: 15 July 2010 12:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 July 2010 12:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Hi All,

I am due to have my IEng interview and the purpose of the interview is to confirm that I have reached the overall level of competence in all 5 competence areas expected of a professional engineer as laid out in UKSPEC.

As you know the 5 areas are further broken down and really there 16 areas in total. I was contemplating in taking into the interview my notes of work experience that fulfilled these areas of competency. This is really so that I don't forget. Is this is a good idea ?

Can anyone elaborate on the format of the interview, ie, will it be going through each of these 16 areas and having demonstrate how I attainment the competency.

A bit nervous about the interview but I also want to enjoy it.

Regards

Pankaj
 15 July 2010 10:03 PM

sashi

Hi Pankaj,

Your application would have gone through an initial stage of peer review, so to be invited to interview means they're quite convinced your're already IEng material.

The interview will be about an hour long. The interviewers will run through all the competence areas, some very briefly, some in more detail. (But they won't explicitly say 'Ok. Now let's look at Competence A2'). They will ask questions, and fill up their tables accordingly.

The initial stage peer review process would have flagged areas which will be probed in more detail during the interview. Mine was Competence C skills. In my CEng interview, other areas were also covered, but not in as much detail as my Competence C skills. If you've identified particular competency areas you feel you're weak in (maybe in consultation with your mentor or professional registration advisor), you could bring in more evidence to bolster your case for the interview.

I also brought in my portfolio, and made sure all the evidence was up to date. Maybe instead of taking in your notes, you may want to consider taking in your portfolio and drawing upon it as needed. It looks more professional.

I also brought in an aide memoire (memory aid) on which I listed down points I wanted to bring up. From the time of application submission until the interview, I had opportunities to further build on my management and budgetary skills, and I brought this up at the interview. Without the memory aid, and my nervousness, I was afraid I'd forget! Also, you could list down things you feel are pertinent in the memory aid to bring up during the interview, as they'll ask you if you'd like to add anything else to the discussion nearing the end of the interview. (Be careful not to waffle on though!)

Another point is to bring in something to show them, maybe a small device you were working on, photos of a project you're really proud of, etc. This is not compulsory, but could be a nice conversation piece for the interview.

Good luck with the interview. The interviews are not there to trip you up. They want you to succeed as much as you do!

sashi
DPhil CEng

-------------------------
Dr S Sivathasan, DPhil CEng
PRI IPRA (Queensland)
 16 July 2010 09:55 PM

Hi,

Thank you for a comprehensive and encouraging response.

I like your suggestion of memory aid, and will be taking that up. The little insight to the interview format is also very helpful . My mind has lots of different things going round as to what I might be asked, what I must remember to say and at the same time being nervous. However, your reply has helped me along way.

Regards

Pankaj
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.