Increase font size
Topic Title: Insulation Resistance Testing of High Voltage Cables
Topic Summary:
Created On: 26 September 2012 12:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 September 2012 12:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

carllangwood

I am looking for the relevant British Standard relating to the insulation resistance testing of High Voltage Cables (3300V). I have found various standards that have either been withdrawn or superseded. I would like to know what is the minimum acceptable result needed for a 200m length of 3.3/5 KV armoured cable when performing the above test. At present we are testing it at 5000V for 3 minutes and want to achieve a result of 20 Giga Ohms??

These cables are clipped direct and the cables are reused on various jobs.

Any help will be appreciated.
 26 September 2012 01:32 PM

ArthurHall

The rule of thumb for pressure testing is twice the working voltage plus 1kv so that would be 3kv to earth and 7.6kv phase to phase. test with DC and once the cable is charged expect minimun leakage current. Test for one minute.
The old electricity board standard was 4.3kv to earth and 7.4kv phase to phase DC for one minute.
To cut down on time it is normal to do R-Y&B then R&Y-B then all three to earth.
If you are just using a 5kv megger then the test you are proposing sounds ok to me.
 26 September 2012 02:17 PM

carllangwood

Thanks for the response, would you be able to tell me what british standard covers the testing of HV cables, as I would need to present my employer with some proof that the cable we propose to use is safe.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.