Increase font size
Topic Title: Offshore/ Abroad Work Queries
Topic Summary: Looking for Information regarding Offshore/ Abroad work
Created On: 27 July 2012 09:44 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 July 2012 09:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

danc2188

Hi,

My name is Daniel I am 24 years old and I am looking for advice regarding some work experience/ permanent work abroad. I would like to be involved within projects that would take me either offshore or to other places such as Canada in the hope for long term contracts abroad or with a permanent move to Canada for work.

I am a Controls Engineer and have been working as such for the past 4 years now, I have completed my HNC electrical engineering and have an understanding of PLC's, HMI's and control panel design using E-Plan P8 Electrica and AutoCAD 2D Design. I have been working greatly on system commissioning, overlooking installations and working on getting projects completed by myself and alongside senior engineers. In the past 6 months I have been given extra responsibilities such as project engineering including estimating and quoting of potential work.

In September 2012 I will begin my HND Electrical/ Electronic engineering and plan on gaining this qualification prior to such a move which will also give me a further 2 years experience in the job I am doing now.

I know this message is rather vague and I am happy to provide further details, should they be required. This is all an idea at the moment, but an idea that appeals to me.

My main concerns are what level of study should I require to make such a move to either offshore or a different country? Does anyone know of any good leads or website links I could take a look at that may help me with this process?

Thank you for any posts in advance.

Regards

Daniel

-------------------------
ipsa scientia potestas est
 27 July 2012 08:08 PM

stableford

Daniel,

If you are serious about working in Canada, the are a few things to look at.
Where- The different Provinces have different needs.
Currently Alberta and Saskatchewan, are desperately short of engineers, and technicians, without a degree you would fall in as a techie, like myself.
Next what work sector- The oil and gas and automation sector are desperately short.

You apply to the individual companys for employment, as being a non canadian, with out permanent residency, you would need a temporary foreign worker permit, the company gets this, and has to apply to HRDC- human resources dept Canada, for a finding(ie there's no one in Canada that can do your job, or applied to do your job)they then get the paperwork over to you.

Do not use an visa lawyer(they charge an arm and a leg for asking you the answers to the form questions- i.e you do the work and pay them), the forms are reasonable to do on your own, but pedantic.

Research the country- remember the winter in Alberta/Saskatchewan and Manitoba goes down to minus 40C.Summers +30C.
Quebec is francophile, but the foods just as good as across the channel. BC is expensive to buy housing. Ontario can be a challenge.
Prepare to open your wallet, and fill in paperwork, Canadians love paperwork.

Working practices are different- aproach with an open mind.
Think double the pay. Unless you go oil and gas, in which case triple- but they own your body.

check out the different provinces websites.

Research the country.

also check out www.discover.ae.ca or www.ae.ca
This is the link to the firm I work for- for recruiting uk engineers to a consulting engineering practise spread across Canada, it does also provide links to the provinces, and gives you an idea of the works.

Relationships- family and partners, remember it is a 8.5hr flight from Manchester to Calgary, 4 hrs of which is over Canada. where it might cost you 50quid to visit the family, think 500 for the ticket.
It can be hard on those you leave behind, remember you will have to plan ahead.
I currently have an envelope in my parents house in the event I get "the phone call"with all the people to contact. Esp as my brother lives in Australia.

Lastly - go for it, best choice I ever made, my regret -not having done it at your age.
Regards

Derrick
Feel welcome to private message me or look at my linked in profile.
 28 July 2012 08:51 AM

danc2188

Derrick,

Firstly thank you very much, genuinely an answer i wanted but didnt expect to get. Thank you for including such useful information that i definately did not think of and the links to websites etc. I really apprecaite it :-)

What is your LinkedIn profile please? I do have one, which i do need to update, however i would like to be able to stay in contact, if that is ok? I promise not to pester!

I have been thinking about this opportunity of working and being abroad for some time now and Canada appeals, i am looking at taking a holiday there in the new year so will definately research it.

I start my HND this September and i am looking at gaining this prior to making any move so that gives me 2 years to gain more experience and the qualification as well as the research that you have helped me think about. I think i will make a 'To Do' list and continually think about it.

Again really appreciate it mate, thank you so much!

Daniel

-------------------------
ipsa scientia potestas est
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.