Increase font size
Topic Title: looking to restart engineering career
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11 January 2010 09:43 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 January 2010 09:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

murungu

Here I am looking for some help/guidance.

I am an IEng with a City and Guilds. Living in the USA I found out that no-one cares too much about C&G or "furrin" certifications. After working for less than the locals and then watching both of my jobs go to China, I went to university and got a BSc in cardiovascular Perfusion(I run the heart-lung machine during heart surgery). I went this route rather than a US engineering degree because this was quicker. The salary was pretty good, I thought that helping my fellow man would be worthwhile and finally, I would not lose my job to the Orient.

I think I might need to get back into engineering mainly due to the fact that there is not much need / desire to improve things and seniority is everything when decisions of any kind are to be made.

Here are my questions.
How do you overcome the 5 year break?

How do you find work in the expat field - preferably in the old British colonies( I do not need to learn a new language)?

Cheers
 12 January 2010 10:45 AM

westonpa

I would suggest that you have answered your own question.

You state that "no-one cares too much about C&G or "furrin" certifications" in the USA, i.e., the engineering stuff you already have and you emphasise this with "working for less than the locals and then watching both of my jobs go to China". You then state that you went back to university to gain a BSc to work in another field.

Option 1:

Go back to college/university to get an engineering qualification that will get you the type of job you want, after checking with local agencies what the requirements are for those types of jobs. Your difficulty in overcoming the 5 year break is that you did not have that much before the break, by the sounds of your statements, and thus I think you need to find a some training/course which will build upon what experience you have and thus enhance it.

Option 2:

It would seem that your best experience and qualification is the BSc in cardiovascular Perfusion and the related work you did. Probably your best prospect would be to see if you can find some more training/work that compliments, or is somehow related, to that rather than come back to something you did not have much of before.

Option 3:

Get in touch with some local training providers, careers advisor and/or job agencies and explain your qualifications and experience and see what they advise.

Sorry you lost out to China and best of luck with your future.

Regards.
 15 January 2010 06:22 AM

poonamt93

First learn to continuously challenge yourself, not find the "easy" job.
Mechanical and/or structural engineering are fascinating fields, lots of opportunity and demand for quality people. Most design work is done on computers, you don't have to engineer tech products or software to be using technology in the process.
 19 February 2010 12:40 PM

Jason198

Here is an good information which would be more helpful for the people in the IT and Computing Industry . Have you heard about have you heard about Cloud Computing Conference 2010 which is my first conference where I have gathered more information and knowledge on Cloud Computing and its technologies. Cloud slam 2010 is the 2nd annual and virtual conference on Cloud Computing and its technologies I got a good opportunity to meet and talk with the world's leading experts of Cloud computing. Link removed
 01 March 2010 06:55 AM

rozermored

It may help you... Why do not you look into some other job like Trades and Professional Careers???

*Access information on the accreditation process for your profession or trade
*Understand what Calgary and area employers are looking for
*Learn what trades and professions are in demand in Calgary
*Connect to other community services and resources

fire saftey course uk
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.