IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: You need ID to buy a screwdriver?!
Topic Summary: Mental note - Don't wear hoody to the hardware store...
Created On: 23 November 2009 02:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 November 2009 02:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

amandalewin

Hey I was asked for ID at the hardware store this weekend when buying a screwdriver, after the initial embarrassment (I'm 26!) I wondered where college students get their tools from?

I had a bit of a google this morning and I can't find anything about an age limit on buying screwdrivers, is my local hardware store just being a bit over zealous in trying to make the world a better place?

-------------------------
Amanda

'At some point we all must chose between what is right and what is awesome'
 23 November 2009 02:49 PM

mbirdi

It was raining over the weekend. Were you wearing some sort of a hood as this might have scared the shop keeper?

Edited: 23 November 2009 at 03:44 PM by mbirdi
 23 November 2009 03:13 PM

amandalewin

Was a polo neck jumper actually, I thought I was looking fairly respectable for a wet and windy Sunday afternoon

Mind you I was a bit grumpy, spent the morning trying in vain to find my tools having just moved house...

Amanda

23 November 2009 06:57 PM

ArthurHall

I am 49 and I like to think fairly respectable, but I had my penknife confiscated by a very young WPC who cautioned me about carrying offensive weapons. She dident even check the screw drivers.
 23 November 2009 07:03 PM

westonpa

Maybe it was the machete and kitchen knife set you were also buying at the time that did it.

I think I would like to be asked for my ID.

Regards.
 23 November 2009 09:35 PM

SimonGrogan

Originally posted by: amandalewin

Hey I was asked for ID at the hardware store this weekend when buying a screwdriver, after the initial embarrassment (I'm 26!) I wondered where college students get their tools from?

I had a bit of a google this morning and I can't find anything about an age limit on buying screwdrivers, is my local hardware store just being a bit over zealous in trying to make the world a better place?

Originally posted by: ArthurHall

I am 49 and I like to think fairly respectable, but I had my penknife confiscated by a very young WPC who cautioned me about carrying offensive weapons. She dident even check the screw drivers.

They do seem to take things a bit far these days. I'm sure the amount of violent crime committed with a screwdriver must be very low indeed!
 24 November 2009 08:09 AM

sjeapes

My girlfriend got asked for ID when trying to buy plastic cutlery It isn't illegal to carry a pen knife around provided the blade is less than 3inches long Also if you can prove that you have a good reason for possession (e.g. you are a carpet fitter on the way to a job)

Edited: 16 December 2009 at 08:31 AM by sjeapes
 24 November 2009 08:31 AM

tickner

It's all the fault of those terrible videogames that youngsters are buying these days - at least one of them features violence using tools from a hardware store

I'd guess that you would need to surrender your passport if you wanted to buy a chainsaw

Mark Tickner CEng MIET
 24 November 2009 10:24 AM

westonpa

And yet those who want the illegal stuff seem to get hold of it by some means or another.

Soon we will be asking those who ask for our ID's for their ID's to check they are who they say they are before they check we are who we say we are......madness.

Regards.
 24 November 2009 10:57 AM

ArthurHall

Sjeapes
The blade was less than three inches long, however it locked in the open position (opinel knife). In the eyes of the law that makes it the same as a fixed blade. I did point out that it was safer for me to use like that, to no avail. It seems it is acceptable to cut yourself legaly. It also had the tip ground off to make it more suitable for opening large cables.
If I had wanted to stab someone a screwdriver would have been a much better weapon.
 24 November 2009 01:12 PM

amandalewin

Originally posted by: tickner

It's all the fault of those terrible videogames that youngsters are buying these days - at least one of them features violence using tools from a hardware store

I'd guess that you would need to surrender your passport if you wanted to buy a chainsaw

I'm must be playing the wrong games!

I recall a competition at university to see who could be the first to collect enough Necter points, trade them in for Argos vouchers and then use them to buy a chainsaw...

Amanda

24 November 2009 01:18 PM

amandalewin

Originally posted by: westonpa

And yet those who want the illegal stuff seem to get hold of it by some means or another.

Soon we will be asking those who ask for our ID's for their ID's to check they are who they say they are before they check we are who we say we are......madness.

Regards.

That would indeed be madness, lets hope it never comes to that, the law is confusing enough already

I still can't seem to find any info regarding buying screwdrivers being age restricted. Maybe it is just a shop initative but its not like Hampstead is a stabbing hotspot...

Amanda

24 November 2009 02:07 PM

westonpa

"Maybe it is just a shop initative but its not like Hampstead is a stabbing hotspot..."

Technically you are correct but the problem is that people see the news displayed on their TV's which are in their houses and whilst it could be half way round the world many think it is happening just down the street.

Regards.
 24 November 2009 02:44 PM

tickner

Originally posted by: amandalewinI still can't seem to find any info regarding buying screwdrivers being age restricted. Maybe it is just a shop initative but its not like Hampstead is a stabbing hotspot...

Apparently the crime levels are above average based on total reportable crimes, see Met Police - Crime Mapping But still, violent crimes and burglaries are average so that doesn't really explain screwdrivers. I suspect someones read something somewhere and perceived a risk that doesn't actually exist.

I'm surprised I don't get drummed out of Sainsbury's when I go shopping with my 7 month old - his top has a hood!

Mark Tickner CEng MIET
 15 December 2009 09:57 PM

BradC

Today I purchased a Phillips head Screw driver from a well known hardware / merchant on Southwark Street in London, My receipt had printed on it **THINK AGE: Cashier has confirmed over 18**

Is a screw driver a bladed item then?

I believe Trading Standards are responsible for the 'Knife Crime - Reducing availability scheme' but this prohibition is not intended to apply to articles such as scissors or compasses, or dare I say, screw drivers.

So someone is being a bit over zeaolous.

Perhaps have a word with your local trading standards service if you think its worthwhile?
 16 December 2009 08:37 AM

sjeapes

The legistlation talks about

any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed and which is made or adapted for use for causing injury to the person

which must be why people are getting asked

It's a no-brainer for the shop-assistants

If they ask for ID the worst that will happen is the occasional customer getting annoyed.
If they don't ask for ID and and the Police/Trading standards think they should they get fined upto £5k and upto 6 months in prison (and it's the assistants that get fined not the shop)

A very similar thing is happening with alcohol sales

11 January 2010 10:41 AM

bkirby

I would just like to say, you are putting yourself at risk if you carry a blade around with you. As a JP, we see quite a few cases of people (particularly tradesmen) who have forgotton to take it out for their pocket.

The guidence for our starting point at the moment is Jail unless you have a good reason for carrying it. And the ONLY good reason for carrying it is that you are going to use it for something connected to your occupation or hobby.

Size does not matter at the moment, if it is a blade or something resembling a blade then your putting yourself at risk.

Barry Kirby BEng (Hons) CEng MIET(MIEE)

"There is no engineering problem that can't be fixed with an appropriate sized hammer"

"At the end of the day.....It gets Dark"

Systems Engineering TPN
 11 January 2010 11:38 AM

westonpa

Originally posted by: bkirby

I would just like to say, you are putting yourself at risk if you carry a blade around with you.

True.

The guidence for our starting point at the moment is Jail unless you have a good reason for carrying it.

But it's called guidance for a reason!

And the ONLY good reason for carrying it is that you are going to use it for something connected to your occupation or hobby.

Is this the legal stance or an opinion?

Size does not matter at the moment, if it is a blade or something resembling a blade then your putting yourself at risk.

Just for your reference:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...ial-figures-show.html

Regards.
 11 January 2010 11:53 AM

westonpa

Be careful at home as well!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8451369.stm

Regards.
 11 January 2010 12:10 PM

bkirby

Originally posted by: westonpa

Originally posted by: bkirby

I would just like to say, you are putting yourself at risk if you carry a blade around with you.

True.

The guidence for our starting point at the moment is Jail unless you have a good reason for carrying it.

But it's called guidance for a reason!

And the ONLY good reason for carrying it is that you are going to use it for something connected to your occupation or hobby.

Is this the legal stance or an opinion?

Just for your reference:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...gures-show.html

Regards.

The article you pointed to is exactly the reason why magistrates exist, to provide the buffer between the public and Government.

Your right that it is guidance, hence only one in 5 going to jail. We have to have good reasons not to send someone to jail and yes the reasons I stated are the main reasons that we can either dismiss the charge (it was in line with work) or we do not give a custodial sentence (eg: a sparky who forgot to take theiry stanley knife out of their jacket).

Knives are a very hot topic, the amount of serious knife inflicted injuries is scary and therefore the carrying of knives is taken very seriously indeed.

Barry Kirby BEng (Hons) CEng MIET(MIEE)

"There is no engineering problem that can't be fixed with an appropriate sized hammer"

"At the end of the day.....It gets Dark"

Systems Engineering TPN
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.