IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Upgrading from BEng (Hons) to the MEng
Topic Summary: From a CAREER point of view, is it worth it?
Created On: 01 February 2013 04:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 February 2013 04:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

CelticHeathen

Hi all,

I felt this was the most appropriate forum to post this on, although it also ties in with future registration criteria.

Basically, I am aware that the CEng requirement, academically, is for the Masters, but in reality (and I mean looking at the OVERALL picture, for the next generation of Engineers like myself) will it confer a discernible advantage in the jobs market to have an MEng over a BEng (Hons)?

In my current job, it is of no consequence whatsoever if I choose to upgrade and so at present I am 50/50 over whether I will do it. The title of "CEng" may still be coveted at present, but will that still be the case in the future, as the British economy continues to fail and industry dwindles yet further?
 04 February 2013 12:12 PM

amandalewin

I think its only a real advantage if your applying for a graduate position as it gives you a bit of a boost over those who don't have it. After working for a while I think work place experience is much more important.

As for CEng I'm hoping that it won't become less coveted as I see it as a major goal in my career. A lot of job profiles specifically ask for CEng but then that could just be overzealous recruitment agencies.

-------------------------
Amanda

'At some point we all must chose between what is right and what is awesome'
 24 March 2013 02:25 AM

GodisGreat

If you already have a job as an engineer, then upgrading to an MEng should not be one of your priorities.

I think CEng status will, at present and for many years to come, be coveted in engineering world, you should not think your career is tied to this country, while the economy is shrinking in the UK, it is expanding in other parts of the world.
 25 March 2013 12:28 PM

CelticHeathen

Originally posted by: GodisGreat

If you already have a job as an engineer, then upgrading to an MEng should not be one of your priorities.

I think CEng status will, at present and for many years to come, be coveted in engineering world, you should not think your career is tied to this country, while the economy is shrinking in the UK, it is expanding in other parts of the world.

By "the UK", I take it you mean England? Speak for yourselves. Engineering is still strong in Scotland and will be for several years to come.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.