Increase font size
Topic Title: Career help. HNC etc...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 14 December 2012 09:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 December 2012 09:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Rabmcnaught

Hi looking for some advice please.

I am a resident engineer on a nuclear power station for Chubb Systems taking care of site security, cctv/ security systems/ gate and turnstiles/muster systems amongst other equipment tied into our electronic security system.

Now I have done this type of job now since leaving school at 16, so around 16 years experience on doing electronic security systems which is low voltage stuff 24vdc etc

Really looking for a change now and a new challenge within the nuclear power industry and wondered what courses would help me further My knowledge and even transfer My skills to another position.

I have a hnc in fire and security alarm system installation possibly not exact name of it but just off the top of My head, it was gained through my apprenticeship with My company a number of years ago and tbh it is not recognised at all.

I would hope to do something along the line with control systems: instrumentation etc but as full time would need to be majority at least in my own time if that is possible. Also another question is would an electrical hnc be better for me and allow me to progress in My career?

I deal day to day with circuits and diagrams,relays,fibre optic networks, lan networks, pc based equipment and so on ,so have a good knowledge in general and really need to take this somewhere else now and further my career but a bit lost on the best path to take, with with my plant knowledge it would need to be within the nuclear industry.

Any help appreciated and apologies of this is in wrong category.

Robert
 14 December 2012 02:49 PM

westonpa

Suggest you take a look around for the type of jobs you are interested in and see what quals and experience they are asking for and then evaluate that against your own. Then work out where the gaps are and what you will need to do to fill them and if that is feasible for you. If yes you have your path and if not then modify what you want. You have a qualification and work experience which will be an advantage. Also you currently have a job so you do not need to make any change until you have something better to move to etc., so overall your position is positive.

Regards.
 14 December 2012 07:45 PM

Rabmcnaught

Thanks

Not 100% on what I want to do exactly but generally internal jobs are saying, site protocols
And experience is of an advantage and aslo things like, control and instrumentation or electrical engineering hnc or equivalent?

I have the site experienc / protocols Etc but in two Minds whether to go control or electrical as I find both equally Intresting, but in the long run what would be beneficial career wise is the question really for me.
 15 December 2012 02:15 PM

westonpa

Then look at both and choose the one with less gaps to fill or with the gaps which you can fill easier.

Regards.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.