IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Question in respect of 'old' City & Guilds qualifications
Topic Summary: Need help in establishing the equivalent level of current qualifications
Created On: 31 October 2012 09:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 October 2012 09:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Cymarr4

I apologize for what is a very long post but please could someone advise me as to the current qualification level provided by City & Guilds and TEC courses taken between 1977 - 1983

Specifically: City & Guilds 222 Radio, Television and Electronics Mechanics Certificate. (3 year course 1977 - 1980).

TEC Certificate in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (4 year course 1979 -1983).

No course number was assigned to the TEC course at that time.

I am currently in the process of attempting to get these two courses approved in respect of EU directive 2005/36/EU in order to meet the qualification requirements of other EU countries (specifically Norway).

However, the courses and qualifications shown above, are not recognized as even having existed and are not shown in any of the applicable databases recognized by the EU (or indeed the British organizations), seemingly having been replaced long ago by BTEC, then NVQ and now possibly by the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF).

I've enquired of the present City and Guilds in respect of these courses but as yet have not received a reply. I've been told by a former colleague, that the entire structure of the City & Guilds organization has changed since the above mentioned courses were taken and that they are highly unlikely to be able to provide me with the information. However, as stated, I've not yet received a reply.

Neither Google or any other search engine I've tried has any information in respect of these courses, other than C.V.s belonging to other people, which show them as possessing the same qualifications.

I have compared the subject scope and study level involved / achieved with the more "modern" examinations and am unable to determine a parallel. For what would appear to be the same or similar course is either considerably less in both scope and achievement attained or is of higher (degree) level.

I would very much appreciate any help in respect of identifying the appropriate modern day equivalent courses or suggestion as to where to obtain this information.

I also have to confess that I did not complete the final year of the TEC course (due to the company I was working for sending me overseas) but the 1st, 2nd and majority of the 3rd years of this 4 year course were completed. Would this fact make the entire course worthless or would those years count for any sort of qualification or recognized achievement ?

Further, If I may ask a second but related question, would my many years of experience (more than 35 years) in numerous roles (some senior, degree level positions) within the engineering industry, count towards EU approval - or indeed, towards a possible application for membership of the IET ?

Again, apologies for the very long post and thank you in advance for your guidance.
 31 October 2012 10:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

peteTLM

''Further, If I may ask a second but related question, would my many years of experience (more than 35 years) in numerous roles (some senior, degree level positions) within the engineering industry, count towards EU approval - or indeed, towards a possible application for membership of the IET ?

IET membership- yes definately.

The other quals were so long ago, (mine were 20 odd yrs ago) what youve done since is just as important, if not more. Getting past any 'modern' organisation's call centre is a pain. If your anywhere near london i would just go and see them, i think archive services is who you are looking for.
good luck.

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.