Increase font size
Topic Title: How do you stay informed..
Topic Summary:
Created On: 28 July 2012 12:15 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 July 2012 12:15 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

PaulDonn

Hi, I am posting this on a few of the topics.

I wanted to know how engineers stay informed of the latest developments in their field of expertise.

What types of media do you use and find easiest accessible.
E.g Magazines at your work, favourite websites, iPad apps

Thanks in advance
 28 July 2012 12:44 AM

JonathanHill

Paul, This poll only seems to allow the selection of a single media.

I'm certain that I'm not alone in using a spectrum of sources.

Please advise how this may be captured.

-------------------------
Jonno
 28 July 2012 07:54 AM

PaulDonn

Jonathan, unfortunately the forum only allows bullet selection and not a check box. Unless I created bullets for every combination. Which I won't. I will ask admin if multiple selection can be done
Maybe just poll the one you use most frequent, and expand on your sources in the thread.
Thanks for the contribution
 28 July 2012 11:10 PM

Zs

Hi Paul,

This forum first and then all the ususal trade magazines, reps,google. The reps are particulalry good; when they tell you of a new way of switching or connecting etc. then you know that there has been a development and can go and look at other manufacturers. As a non-electrical example; I saw a fender telecaster this week with a very interesting method of connecting the strings via a trap door in the locking nut and a ratchet mechanism. Never seen it before but I happen to be off guitar shopping today and am now ready to look at that on every model and see what the alternatives are.

But in my case most of keeping up comes from being half my time on the tools and out there seeing a variety of installations. It is very easy for an engineer to get stuck into specifying what he knows and is comfortable with, but actually having to inspect or install something new is a sure way of appreciating how things are developing. It's good to actually get your hands on something and see it in action.

Take the megger MFT1730 for example..... Bought mine on the strength of the marketing and gadgetry but should have tried it out first.

Zs
 28 July 2012 11:10 PM

Legh

I have found that you discover new things to get your fingers into when out on site.
a few years ago, I was invited to inspect and test and then do some remedials on an installation which had a lot of wireless automated switching devices. These controlled many of the circuits in the house, outbuildings and gardens. Then came the time to reprogram and exchange the controls for some of these circuits.
That is certainly one way to keep up with technology and then, of course, you meet like-mined people doing the same things and you share notes...

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 29 July 2012 09:19 PM

PaulDonn

Thanks for the replies so far gents. I was hoping for a wider response from the members here. Jonno, would you care to share your spectrum of sources?
 30 July 2012 09:25 AM

Legh

I have noticed the 'turbo-lag' when accelerating onto other forum headings . Leave it for a couple of weeks and it may pick up.

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 04 August 2012 06:02 PM

mbirdi

I use the 'real Institution of Engineering and Technology' to find what I'm looking for. It is often called the Internet or Google.
 08 August 2012 06:05 PM

PaulDonn

It looks like we don't have many options really. Although the choices we have are top knotch, seems alot of searching to find what you want.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.