IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Trials/offsite allowances
Topic Summary: What are the market rates?
Created On: 13 June 2012 02:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 June 2012 02:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Can anyone help??

I am trying to assess the range of market rates for uplift/off-site payments over and above salaries that are paid when undertaking support work away from your home site. The area I am particularly interested in is working with ships/submarines in and out of the dockyard, in build, refit and trials.

Thanks!
 13 June 2012 03:04 PM

AndyTaylor

In my experience there are typical company guidelines which give a basic idea of what is acceptable, but individual cases are negotiated based on location (UK / Overseas), risk, accommodation provided (hotel or mess), current salary / position, overtime allowances, expenses, per-diem provisions etc.

There may also be other issues to consider. Many people who are typically office based do not necessarily check that company insurance will cover them for potentially hazardous environments such as sea-trials where live weapons firings are taking place.

While I'm happy to tell you that my off-site uplifts have varied between 10% and 50% (with expenses on top) I'm not so happy to provide the background details that would have influenced each of those uplifts.

-------------------------
Andy Taylor CEng MIET
 13 June 2012 03:13 PM

Andy - Thanks for the response. You are right, there are many aspects to this including location, expenses and hazard levels. I suppose the ones I am trying to focus on are the 'ardouos' type of allowance where an 'office worker' might get paid an extra, say, £50 per day to 'encourage' him to carry out the work (plus his usual expenses).
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.