Increase font size
Topic Title: career change
Topic Summary:
Created On: 25 March 2010 11:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 March 2010 11:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

pandaspot

hi

I am currently working for a local council, in an office dealing with benefit claims.

I have always had a keen interest in electronics etc and have decided enough is enough, i need a career change.

i am 30 and looking to retrain.

i have signed up to do a city and guilds basic electronic engineering course online. is it any good?? i will continue the training with other courses. just wondering whether i have made a mistake signing up for this course or is a good first step as i have no experience

thanks for any advice

sarah
 25 March 2010 02:03 PM

mbirdi

It looks a good first step into electronics. Seems like a joint run thing between C&G and ICS. The only downside is it doesn't tell you where you go from there? Can you move on to BTEC after you qualify? Price looks a bit steep. Their GCSE and A level courses are priced at £249 and £299 respectively in comparison.

At £413 it had better be a good course.

Good Luck!

Edited: 25 March 2010 at 02:10 PM by mbirdi
 25 March 2010 06:05 PM

westonpa

What is your background qualifications and experience....before the council job?

What are your career aspirations?

It's admirable to take the 1st step but it's wise to also consider where you are going.

The UK is not exactly awash with electronics jobs and there are plenty of students already looking for work and 1000's more about to graduate......that's your competition.

Regards.
 26 March 2010 12:50 AM

eswnl

Originally posted by: westonpa

The UK is not exactly awash with electronics jobs and there are plenty of students already looking for work and 1000's more about to graduate......that's your competition.

Regards.

Where are all the electronics jobs going?
 26 March 2010 04:51 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: eswnl
Where are all the electronics jobs going?

Jobs still exist so there are still opportunities however it is now much tougher to get one with no experience and 'ordinary' level qualifications....especially when there are already engineers, graduates and those about to graduate looking for work.

Some 'electronics' jobs have been incorporated into multi-skilling.

Some were removed by improvements in reliability.

Some were removed by automation.

Some were removed by the parts, equipment and components which now come from outside the UK.

Etc.

Regards.
 03 November 2010 04:34 PM

janevacher

Hi Sarah great to read or hear that there is another person out there who has taken the plunge to make a career change. I did the same as you but I was in Nursing for a good number of years, and have always wanted to be an electrician, now with the constant threat of staff cuts in the profession I am retraining too. I really wish I had done it sooner. I joined a distance learning course, Trade qualified, I can highly recommend them, as I still have to have an income for me this is the only way to obtain industry recognised qualifications. Dont listen to much to the doom and gloom that I sometimes see in replys try and talk to as many people where you work about your course especially in the maintenance section of the council, and see if any of the electricains do some private work out of hours, that's what I did and I have been very persistant and it has paid off as I now have a good number of contacts that are more than happy to act as guru's / technical support guys, and they have taken me out on some of there jobs. It is invaluable to have the 'hands on' experience, so please dont give up. Also so nice to find another female please keep in touch Jane
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.