IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: E&T on the Internet
Topic Summary: Why can't you download from the Internet?
Created On: 27 July 2012 03:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 July 2012 03:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

raymondfcragg

Can anyone tell me why you can down load the E&T latest edition via iTunes to your iPad but can not download to save on your computer other than an iPad?
We, the IET, are a highly technical organisation yet we cannot achieve, or so it seems, what other magazines do as a matter of routine. For me it would be better to get a soft copy rather than a hard copy. This is because I work overseas so it is several weeks before I get home and get my hard copy.
I know there are many others in a similar position yet unless you have an iPad - I dont as I carry a notebook computer with me - I have to wait until I am next home.
Another Expatriate magazine I subscribe to tells you when the online version is available and currently they are looking at giving a discount in the membership fee shoud you decide to opt for the e-version over hard copy.
If anyone can explain to me the reason I would be interested to hear it
Thanks in advance
 31 July 2012 10:38 PM

rhysphillips

Agreed. I may actually read the thing if I could get it on my tablet (not iPad).
 01 August 2012 07:37 AM

StewartTaylor

As I've said before, E&T is not for engineers. It's by media people for media people. Media people are devoted to Apple. End of story.

-------------------------
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
 01 August 2012 02:53 PM

dickonross

Each issue of E&T is in fact available online just before the print edition arrives. Under the 'Magazine' pull down menu there's the latest issue and past issues. Like many magazines over the years, we have experimented with a digital replica or 'pageturner'. Pageturners put a design for paper on a screen, which I think is a bit like the early plastics that simulated wood. On the plus side they are quite easy to produce. In my experience the novelty and the idea appeals but in reality they aren't much read, although they make a useful archive approach. However, we would like to make E&T articles available free to members through the IET's new digital library when it launches later this year. The pageturners I think work better on tablets than computer screens but you generally have to magnify them to read them. We decided to produce an edition specifically designed for the tablet screen. We started with the iPad because, unlike smartphones, the overwhelming majority of tablets out there are iOS. We could produce an Android version on the same production platform if the iPad version proves popular. The jury is still out on how well magazines work on tablets.

Dickon Ross
Editor-in-Chief
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 01 August 2012 03:59 PM

gkenyon

Originally posted by: StewartTaylor

As I've said before, E&T is not for engineers.
I must admit, I've stopped reading it completely. I don't even look at mine any more at all. It is very upsetting to have to admit that it goes straight in the recycling.

Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH
 09 October 2012 10:23 PM

simongallagher

Agree with the above, E&T is not for Engineers, mine stays where the majority seem to, in the wrapper.
 14 October 2012 08:07 PM

TomThomson

Mine doesn't stay in the wrapper, because the wrapper goes in one recycling box and its contents in another,

Eur Ing Tom Thomson MA MSc MBCS CITP CMath FIMA CEng FIET
 15 October 2012 02:32 PM

rhysphillips

Hah!
 26 October 2012 08:28 AM

chris1982

Originally posted by: raymondfcragg

giving a discount in the membership fee shoud you decide to opt for the e-version over hard copy.

has this ever been looked into or mentioned? I usually skim through mine at best and then it goes into the recycling bin, would the IET ever offer a reduced rate for people that don't take the magazine in hard copy?
 26 October 2012 06:10 PM

amillar

Having slightly more time on my hands at the moment I have just tried, really tried, to read the last two issues. Can't do it. It's not relevant to my work, and not interesting enough to read in my own time. (The subject matter's interesting, but the writing style is too much like advertising based trade magazines.)

So I agree, please can we have a discount on membership in order not to receive these.

Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 27 October 2012 11:31 AM

amillar

...or alternatively, an amendment to my last post:

Having failed to read E&T yesterday when I was in the mood for sitting down (well, lying in the bath) and reading something, early this morning I was tidying up and was about to recycle a couple of my old Chartered Manaagement Institute magazine when I thought I'd have a quick flick through first...an hour later I was still reading them.

Now let's get this clear, management is a MUCH more boring subject than engineering, so what was the difference? The CMI magazine is provocative without being arrogant, it contains insights and advice I can use in my day-to-day work, and it does not read like rehashed press releases from marketing departments! The regular columnists are industry leaders rather than journalists, and whilst I may disagree with their views (and would like to see a wider variety of columnists) there is no doubt that they are speaking from a depth of experience. Compared with this, E&T reads much more like "New Electronics", "Eureka", or any of the many other free trade magazines which I receive which are worth exactly what I pay for them.

I think it is important to realise the significance of the web here. If I want to find out about what companies have to offer, or what technologies are emerging, I can do this easily on the web and keep it focussed. The IET covers such a wide field now that there is no way that technology specific info can be covered in a magazine.

So what should the purpose of a professional engineers' magazine be? Based on this experience can I suggest the following:
1. Independent critical journalistic research into key upcoming technologies. 3D printing is an excellent example, this affects us across the fields of engineering but we do NOT need a sales pitch for printing companies, we'll get that anyway. However, real critical insight into the opportunities, the weaknesses, the risks and the benefits would be of great value.
2. Investigation into the non-technological issues that affect us in the profession. If you want examples, look at these forums! Where is the investigation into why as a manager I can't find engineers, whilst as a job seeker I can't find another job? Where is the informed discussion on the present and future roles (or not) of CEngs and IEngs? Where is the advice on how to start and progress your career? An example here is the article on skilled wood-working craftsmen in the last issue, that could have been a fascinating article of use to employers and job seekers, and just to the lay reader, but in the end was pretty much an interview with two employers. Those interviews would have made great "boxed" examples in a fuller article, but by themselves just didn't have the weight.

With the weight* and independance** of the IET behind it E&T can be a unique, useful, and entertaining read for its members, and I would certainly rather see this happen than have cheaper membership with no magazine. But at the moment I'd go for the cheaper membership.

* i.e. money
** i.e. the guts to suggest that maybe some engineering sectors, companies and products may have "room for improvement"

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 27 October 2012 03:42 PM

CliveM

Being somewhat cynical I came to the conclusion sometime ago that E&T is more about trying to win journalistic awards than providing information to IET members. Maybe if we refocused on the members' needs it might be a more relevant publication.

Clive Maude
 28 October 2012 02:58 AM

TomThomson

New Electronics and Eureka are not something that I read, so I can't evaluate the comparison with E&T. Are they actually that much worse that, say Computing, or Computer Weekly, the free trade rage for IT?

It would be great if E&T could climb to the standard of a web magazines like Out-Law.com or TheRegister.co.uk, but it seems to be going in the opposite direction.

Oftyen I wonder if perhaps I should can my IET membership and rejoin the IEEE, which at least is a respectable professional society - a concept that the IET has lost sight of (if indeed it ever had it in view).

Eur Ing Tom Thomson MA MSc MBCS CITP CMath FIMA CEng FIET
 28 October 2012 02:51 PM

manadasor

Rather than immediately recycle your copy of "E&T" how about handing it in to a local library or school. You may find the content of "E&T" of little or no interesti but there could well be others out there who will.

While it is always easy the criticise, have you ever thought of making suggestions as to what you think should be in "E&T" - even submit an article!

Ron McMurtrie, CEng FIEE, Chartered MCIPD.
 28 October 2012 05:16 PM

jcm256

Forums:
The discussion area is intended for short postings in line with the purposes mentioned above. Substantial technical submissions should be sent to our editorial department, for possible inclusion in our publications, including E&T Magazine.

http://www.theiet.org/help/forum-conditions.cfm

Can't recall any discussions material being used in the magazine. Seems hung up on Wind Power promotion.
Here is one below about HSE advising French made wind turbines to be lowered down, how about an article on that was the engineering problem solved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18330468

Could the magazine not have an article on why it was not a good idea to have costly wind turbines at all?.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/com...r-bills-sky-high.html
Regards
jcm IEng MIET
 29 October 2012 04:18 PM

amillar

Originally posted by: manadasor
While it is always easy the criticise, have you ever thought of making suggestions as to what you think should be in "E&T" - even submit an article!

I have tried at various times, without much response. (I used to e-mail Dickon occasionally with ideas, but since I never received any sort of response I gave up.) I did in fact write a few articles for E&T Education magazine before its recent demise - sadly not as many as I would have liked due to lack of time on my part - and had a very good relationship with Roger, its editor.

But I do actually agree with the IET's principle that the magazine should be led and written by professionals in the field of technical journalism - we should be aiming for the level of (say)New Scientist, and that isn't going to be achieved by the IET waiting for us dilettante writers to have a few spare moments! High quality writing, particularly investigative writing, is a full time job in itself - as my wife, a professional writer and magazine editor, never ceases to remind me However, those professionals have got to consider the readers needs and what value they are adding. It is particularly risky in a "captive audience" magazine, which is why I hope someone involved is taking some notice of this thread...

Hopefully my points were constructive in terms of strategic input; they were certainly meant to be. And I would be delighted to have the opportunity to discuss them further in a positive way with anyone involved with the production of E&T.

30 October 2012 11:15 AM

rhysphillips

They are definitely open to member written articles but I believe they have to be pitched just like any freelance journalist would have to.
 05 November 2012 08:10 PM

manadasor

On opening up today, my copy of "Personel Management" the magazine of the Institute of Personnel and Developement, the Editorial struck a chord.

"Are you being heard?"
It goes on to say "we want our membership magazine to be challenging, vibrant and agenda-setting ........... with a range of articles touching on many diverse areas of work."

The editorial continues "We're developing a clearer framework for the way we communicate, placing us at the heart of the changing worlds of work. ....... We want to increase face-to-face connections as part of professional development of best practice. And after all the best connections are always made in person."

Is there a message here for the IET?

Ron McMurtrie
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.