Topic Title: IET Diary
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 September 2010 10:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 September 2010 08:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DavidParr

You all seem to be missing profiles (when i click on the little man icon).

Can I suggest you do the following and see if it fixes things:

Click on "My-IET", then "Public Profile", then select the "Public Profile" tab. On the right hand side, make sure that the section headed "Contact from other users" has one of the three radio buttons checked.

-------------------------
David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 13 September 2010 09:00 AM

deleted_3_rowen

David
Thanks for your suggestion but having done what you have suggested still no visibility of diary "opt-in".
bob
 13 September 2010 09:08 AM

agnessegal

I just wish to reassure members that if they wish to opt-in for a 2012 diary and are unable to do so over the web they may either write to or telephone the Member and Customer Service Centre quoting their name and membership number and staff will note their request.

Agnes Segal
 13 September 2010 12:47 PM

rossall

I am sorry that this is causing members some difficulty. For clarity, it is not necessary to have a public profile in order to see the diary option. The public profiles are intended to assist members and others in networking. The My Account section of My IET is for your member options and communications preferences.

However, it is necessary to have a member-level log-in. Web site registrations are available to members and non-members, but of course diaries are offered to members only. The activity tab of My IET states (for members) your membership number, and that you have full member access. If you have registered as a non-member, that tab instead invites you to contact us, should you in fact be a member of the Institution.

Members who do not have log-in accounts at all do not need to ask for one, but may register using the link at the top of each page. Please indicate that you are an IET member when asked.

The considerable majority of all IET members already have member-level log-ins, and so would have access to the diary option. Member log-ins are also required for access to member-only services such as Career Manager, e-books, e-journals and book loans from the Library.

David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 15 September 2010 10:11 AM

ChrisLeaning

David R,

I have followed your suggestion and got to My Account but can still find no reference to Diary.

What next?

Chris Leaning
chris.leaning@btinternet.com
 15 September 2010 10:32 AM

roddalitz

On a different angle, a colleague who is not registered with MyIET pointed out that those who particularly need the diary are the least likely to be able to request it. So, the default should be to RECEIVE the diary, and the option should be to refuse it.

regards, Rod Dalitz (CEng MIEE FInstP)
rod.dalitz@blueyonder.co.uk
 15 September 2010 10:42 AM

mbirdi

Chris, I can see it.

Whilst reading this message do the following:

1. Make sure you are Logged in first
2. Click on this URL
3. Click the 'My account' tab. You should find reference to Diary under 'Membership Options'.

If you still can't see it then something is wrong and needs to be looked into.

Hope that helps.

Edited: 15 September 2010 at 10:57 AM by mbirdi
 15 September 2010 04:04 PM

JRyle

This really isn't very good is it? That this forum exists at all is really quite shameful for such a body as the IET whose members can hardly be said to be technophobes and yet are faced with trawling around all over the site just to order a bloody diary because a simple (?) URL doesn't work properly.

I have now allegedly ordered one, but as a previous correspondent wrote I will believe it next September.

I am thankful that it wasn't just me or I may have been getting worried I was losing the plot.

Come on, IET. I cannot be the only one on here who helped invent IT and who is having problems with this apparently simple task. Get your act together.

Edited: 15 September 2010 at 04:16 PM by JRyle
 15 September 2010 06:40 PM

rossall

Chris - I have confirmed that the diary option is visible on your profile page as described by mbirdi and I note that the option to receive the diary is now set for you.

Regards

David Rossall
 17 September 2010 06:21 PM

jimwsmith

I had the same problem. When I get a link I am told to go to I expect to see a page just about requesting a diary, not one to edit my account settings with a small tickbox hidden off somewhere to the right.

After reading these forum posts I found it but I wouldn't have otherwise.

Remember just because something is obvious to those who design something, doesn't mean it is obvious to anyone else.
 19 September 2010 07:41 PM

AncientMariner

Well, first of all I am thankful that I was not the only Member having difficulty in 'claiming' my future diary. For some reason the appropriate tick box was there on my following visit.

But now can someone tell me why when I came to write this reply the Message Title: Box reads FIET Diary

I have not edited it back to IET Diary so that I can see what the result, if any, is.

Cheers!

Confused of Hawarden

Clive S Carver GCGI IEng MIET
 23 September 2010 02:03 AM

pjames53

Hi!

I experienced all the same problems mentioned when I logged in using what I thought was my current username and password, however these were the legacy items from my registration with IEE prior to the merger, when I was a member of IIE. For some reason this still gets me onto the IET website even though ,after other problems, I was informed the account had been terminated.

When I logged on using my old IIE details, clicking on MyIET and selecting the MY ACCOUNT option, my profile page including the Diary option was displayed.

Is it possible some of you may be suffering from the same 'dual registration' problem.

Regards

Phil James B.Eng(Hons)., I.Eng., MIET.
 23 September 2010 01:50 PM

rossall

This certainly may be the case - it's a variation of the issue of members having non-member accounts that I mentioned before. The diary option is only offered to you if you are logged in with a member account, because only members are entitled to diaries.

Of course, before the IET was formed, IIE members were not members of the IEE, so the account that you created then on the IEE systems was a non-member one. When the IET was formed, we wanted to maintain continuity of Web services for members of both former Institutions, so we transferred both the IEE and the IIE member log-ins to the IET systems with full member rights.

Since the two Institutions were in related areas, this did of course mean that some IET members would have both a member and a non-member account. These are quite hard to spot, as non-member accounts often have little more information than a name, and an email address that may not match the one we have for you as a member. (Some of course had two member accounts, having been members of both Institutions, but these were easier to find and deduplicate). We would normally expect you to use only your member account, and we aim to close down disused (non-member) accounts from time to time.

I am sorry that this caused you some confusion.

Regards

David Rossall
 24 September 2010 03:46 PM

dyoung

I have tied to follow the instructions and advice on this Forum to Opt In for next year's diary but have been totally unsucessful. I have spent more than 30 mins attempting to follow this horrible system

I am afraid that this is just another example of a failed IET IT system which only creates frustration and the amount of correspondence on this forum says it all

Can someone please inform me how to book my future diary without all this hassle !!!!!!

Eur Ing David Young FIET

dyoung
 24 September 2010 05:42 PM

rossall

I have confirmed that the diary option is available to you in the right-hand column of this page:https://www.theiet.org/my/index.cfm?tab=account

The same page (My Account in My IET) is available to you by following the link from this year's diary: http://www.theiet.org/diary/

I have set your option to receive a diary.

Regards

David Rossall

Edited: 24 September 2010 at 05:52 PM by rossall
 09 October 2010 07:36 PM

Avatar for jolyon                                            .
jolyon

Glad that I have found the necessary checkbox in my profile page. Just a note to those updating the various areas of the page... you have to update each and every entry immediately; if you go and update another frame first then you lose your earlier edits. Handy to save your text-under-construction in Notepad in case it disappears...

Anyway, having the IEE/IET diary has been very useful to me for many years... it is much better than having a personal organiser or keeping information in a phone. It is quick to update, find information from - and quick to extract from the pocket without need to switch on, recharge or search menus!
 10 October 2010 12:11 AM

roddalitz

The diary is a perfectly nice diary, but I converted many years ago to the seven-stars mini which is a pocket filofax page-per-day. That saves me transferring all the addresses and generic information, so I find a home elsewhere for my IoP and IET diaries.

regards, Rod Dalitz (CEng MIEE FInstP)
rod.dalitz@blueyonder.co.uk
 27 October 2010 03:29 PM

deleted_1_mwdaniel

Nope, I'm sorry but I give up, I can't find it anywhere.
I've emailed requesting a diary instead.
 27 October 2010 04:52 PM

rossall

I am sorry that you have been unable to use the Web to request your diary.

Please ensure that, when you registered your log-in account, you answered "Yes" to the question "Are you an IET member?" This determines whether the username and password that you create give you access to member-only services on the Web, including the diary option.

If you choose to register as a member, we conduct some security tests before linking your username with your member account. If you choose to register as a non-member, we create a new user account with reduced rights.

My message of 13 September in this thread sets out how you can check on the level of account that you have. If you need assistance in resolving an issue, please contact the Webmaster.

Regards

David Rossall
 30 October 2010 11:31 AM

raymondfcragg

If the method of selction for the diary is so hard to find, and I agree it is, then to me that would suggest that the page layout requires looking at. Nothing on a web page should be a matter of "hunt the info". The web master needs to take this on board and make every link easy.
IET » Feedback and questions » IET Diary

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.