Topic Title: Alias service
Topic Summary: Down again!
Created On: 04 September 2009 07:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 March 2010 06:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

rossall

Hi Clive

As I tried to explain, if we don't filter spam then the probability is that we won't be able to deliver any alias messages to you at all. This leaves us in something of a difficult position.

I am not sure of your ISP's policy, but I certainly would not assume these days that I was receiving all the mail sent to me, whether or not it came via the IET. Spam volumes are so high that it is essential to reduce these. For example, many ISPs now use reputation-based systems. These drop incoming connections if the sending system has been identified as a recent source of spam. The effect of this is that mail is never received, and so not sorted into spam folders.

As ever, I am happy to discuss the issue. Feel free to give me a call.

Regards

-------------------------
David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 19 March 2010 06:30 PM

diviner

Originally posted by: rossall

I am not sure of your ISP's policy, but I certainly would not assume these days that I was receiving all the mail sent to me, whether or not it came via

Well, I can now, following the comments in this thread, categorically state that I do NOT receive all the mail sent to me. However the amount that I risk losing (that proportion that goes through the IET alias system, and no other email) is a very small fraction of it.

The BCS alias system is set to flag possible spam and pass it on - in my case it puts the tag "[BCS-SPAM]" at the front of the subject line.

Oh, and you should know that there are a great many people who do not get email from their ISP - in the same way that there are a great many people who buy petrol from a different place from where they bought their car.

Ian Gordon, MIET CITP MBCS
 19 March 2010 07:06 PM

AlanKay

Can I ask what happens to email addressed to me that the IET mailserver decides is spam?
Do you silently discard it, or do you send a non-delivery report to the sender?

Alan

Alan Kay, CEng MIEE
 22 March 2010 05:24 PM

rossall

Again, passing on known spam could lead to the operators of members' email systems blocking mail from the IET, on the basis that it is a known sender of spam.

Much mail identified by our suppliers as spam will be discarded. Responding to all spam with a bounce is not necessarily desirable on several counts:
  • Source addresses are mostly falsified, so the returns are clogging things up without having a hope of being delivered anywhere
  • If the spam came from abuse of a genuine originating system, that system has to deal with the large volumes of returns
  • It allows the sender of spam to keep trying variations until a message gets through
  • It may contribute to the spreading of viruses

I did refer to ISP/employer/whatever in my previous message, but I thought that was a bit unwieldy so just used ISP for short last time. Sorry this caused confusion.

Hope this helps.

Regards

David Rossall
 23 March 2010 11:45 PM

rodfry

I have just found this discussion on use of the alias address having sent a separate message to the webmaster! I have also been missing messages from PayPal and Ebay. The last one I received from them was 4th January 2010. I have reset my alias address with both, prior to seeing this forum, to a direct address and that works. I do not use any filters with PegasusMail (which has a comprehensive facility) as I just look at the relatively short list at the ISP and delete any suspect or unwanted items without downloading.

Rodney Fry
 12 May 2010 12:06 PM

sandrew

Hi,

As with others I have also suffered problems getting the IET to respond to requests regarding my email alias and mail forwarding. I have requested a change 3 times via the non-urgent type 'contact us' bin and have today tried once more. I too cannot understand why they removed the web page that allowed individuals the chance to manage their mail redirection. In every possible way, I get the impression that I am dealing with a totally unprofessional body rather than one which is at the forefront of technology. Am I wrong?

Stuart Andrew FIET

Stuart Andrew
Saddleworth, UK
(g3sna)
 12 May 2010 06:11 PM

rossall

I am sorry for the slow response that you have experienced. I have emailed you concerning this.

Regards

David Rossall
 11 June 2010 11:58 PM

diviner

Coming back to the original purpose of this thread, I have, on more than one occasion in the last few weeks, had to tell LinkedIn to re-verify my email address provided by this service. The reason LinkedIn give for my needing to do this is that mail is being bounced.

There are good reasons why I prefer to have the email address provided by a professional body as my primary email on LinkedIn.

Is there any way to tell from your end whether it is bouncing at your servers or at the server it is forwarded to?

Regards

13 June 2010 10:48 PM

rossall

Given the numbers of messages handled by the alias service, it is not feasible to make a general investigation, because we simply can't identify all messages sent from LinkedIn to your alias. We would need ideally to see the bounce that LinkedIn received, because that should say from where the bounce came.

If we can't get a copy of the bounce message, at least we'd need to know when messages were sent, and from what address. Presumably LinkedIn use a general address for sending, so it shouldn't be too hard for either of us to work out what that is.

I have set LinkedIn to use my alias in order to see whether I have any similar problem.

Regards

David Rossall
 14 June 2010 06:56 PM

diviner

Unfortunately, the only information I get is that email sent from LinkedIn to ipgordon@iee.org has bounced. Since this particular category of email is (a) almost all I currently get that is routed through the IET alias service and (b) the only email for which I am aware of bounces occurring, Occam's Razor implies that the IET alias service is to blame.

Doesn't your system log, at the very least, bounce messages that it generates or that are returned directly to it when it tries to pass an email on?

Other mail forwarders I have used cache, at least for a few weeks, all bounce messages that they receive, generate, or route, that involve their genuine users.

16 June 2010 03:31 PM

DavidParr

I have had a similar recurring problem with bounced mail, and have had to remove my IEE Alias address from LinkedIn.

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 16 June 2010 03:52 PM

rossall

Ian and David

If you could provide at least dates and (if possible) times, that would be helpful. I imagine that you received an automated message from LinkedIn, so that would give a pretty good indication. As I mentioned, the volumes of alias mail handled make looking through the last several weeks a major task, and in any case retention of logs is necessarily limited.

Regards

David Rossall
 16 June 2010 04:04 PM

DavidParr

David, I have just re-added my IEE email address and will let you know if and exactly when it bounces.

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 16 June 2010 09:45 PM

diviner

Unfortunately it is not (at least for me) that easy. They don't send a message saying an address has bounced, they just set a flag so that the next time you actually log on to the service directly you get a banner telling you an address has bounced. You then have to go to the relevant part of your user setup to see which one it is.

Since I don't log on all that frequently - most of what I need from LinkedIn it automatically mails to me anyway, and they have half a dozen addresses to try - it may be a while between the bounce happening and me becoming aware.

I will keep an eye on things and try to catch it by way of which route messages take to me (most of the addresses they have for me actually land on the same server eventually - just via different routes, including both the IET alias service and the BCS one - and all of them land in the same email package).

17 June 2010 08:16 AM

DavidParr

Sorry, but LinkedIn emails now bounce when I arrange for them to be sent either to the IEE alias or directly to the forwarding address.

I have removed both - sorry to have bothered you!

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 24 June 2010 11:58 AM

JamesGarrity

Hi

I have also had LinkedIn e-mail not getting through and have changed the e-mail I use for them.

I also use the British Computer Society e-mail service and that allows members to set up "White lists" and "Black lists" so giving the member more control over e-mails.

James Garrity BEng (Hons) MIET
 28 August 2010 01:01 PM

eaparr

I started having problems receiving e-mails from Yahoo and Google via the iee alias in June 2010. The IEE say they have been delivered to my server (Pipex) but Pipex blame the IEE which makes life impossible for me stuck in the middle. Not knowing if you have missed important e-mails is worrying as many people now use Google & Yahoo addresses for business. Today I've not received a confirmation e-mail for a holiday booking which I know was sent from a Google address. I've just changed my forwarding address to a Yahoo address to see if that is any better

Andrew Parr
 23 December 2011 02:18 PM

aplumb

It seems to me that the '...@iee.org' alias is not fully working and has not been for at least the last three days. I have tested this by sending myself an email from two different source accounts and after three days the sent message is discarded. Does anybody else have this suspicion?

However, some messages do seem to still be getting through as I just received one from another source. Very strange.

The theiet.org alias does seem to be working though. But this doesn't help with possible messages that I might now have lost.

aplumb
 28 December 2011 11:41 PM

rossall

In the event of problems, please send details of the times and dates at which messages were sent, the addresses from and to which they were sent, and any error messages received. Forwarding copies of messages is especially helpful.

At the time of writing, my testing shows that messages to an @iee.org alias are being received. However, you are reporting intermittent problems.

Enquiries can be sent using the Webmaster form or, in the case of the alias service, to mailserv@theiet.org

Regards

David Rossall
 30 December 2011 08:30 AM

aplumb

Thanks for your response. I have sent a problem report.

May I suggest that perhaps the contact information for reporting these problems and what accompanying information you would like to be sent should be available in a more prominent place because I was unable to find this information until you told me. Possibly in an FAQ?

Regards

Paul Lumb

aplumb
IET » Feedback and questions » Alias service

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.