Increase font size
Topic Title: Electric cars
Topic Summary: Small
Created On: 21 December 2011 06:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 December 2011 09:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jencam

How difficult would it be to convert an original Toyota MR2 to electric power?
 22 December 2011 08:56 AM

amillar

The G-Wiz seems to be the closest modern equivalent, the question is whether the safety is considered appropriate (see the death of Judit Nadal).

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 22 December 2011 10:23 AM

rogerbryant

The nearest thing currently planned/available is the electric Smart. It will cost rather more than Alan's target, but also has all the currently required safety features like airbags and ESP and generally good crash test results.

http://uk.smart.com/

A relatively mild collision in an Isetta or Heinkel would be goodbye lower legs and feet. There was only a thin aluminum door between you and what you hit.

An alternative without the safety bits is the Twike

http://www.twike.com/en/home/home.html

There are a few in regular use around here, but I think I would rather have the full protection or be able to 'abandon ship' like you can on a bike if things are getting difficult.

Best regards

Roger
 31 January 2012 09:50 AM

rogerbryant

Our local post office has recently got one of the fleet of Oxygen electric scooters:

http://www.oxygenworld.it/content/models

It seems to go pretty well even with a trailer, but is very (almost too) quiet.

Best regards

Roger
 01 February 2012 01:08 PM

rogerbryant

The economics of these small electric cars is always a little dubious to me with the current price premiums.
If I drive my old petrol Smart 60 miles a day (typical small EV range) the fuel cost in the UK would be around £5. If I do this 300 days out of 365 (daily commute and shopping some weekends) the annual fuel cost would be £1500.
Current internet information suggests that the price of a basic electric Smart is ~6000 Euros more than a basic petrol version. There is also a lease charge for the battery. 6000 Euros is currently around £5000 so if electricity was free the payback period would be more than 3 years. If I pay for the electricity and the battery leasing there is probably no payback.
18000 miles a year is quite high for a city car. If you look at a more typical mileage, <10000 miles per year, the situation looks even less favorable.
The only ways this would make sense is if the government (taxpayer) pays the £5000 supplement or in London where you don't have to pay the (£10 per day?) congestion charge.

Best regards

Roger
 06 February 2012 10:52 AM

rogerbryant

Maybe an electric version of the re released Peel P50 :-)

http://www.bluewin.ch/de/index...ildergalerie?id=32949

Best regards

Roger
 09 February 2012 11:16 AM

ashleywilson

Electric cars has changed the perspective of all car enthusiast since it was released in t he market.Green cars are very popular, including the first generation of electric automobiles. The 3rd EV from a major manufacturer, the Mitsubishi i, has only been accessible for a few months, but is spreading across the United States. Resource for this article: Deliveries of Mitsubishi i expand beyond West Coast
 22 June 2012 01:11 AM

stableford

I think some of the members are heading off target, from the original, one could assume they already have the car.
Its reasonably straight forward engineering- but a pain time wise. Ive seen a beatle that was converted by some students here in Canada, also a reverse trike made from scratch.
The problem is the battery capacity, and range.
Secondly do you go AC motor+regening VFD, or DC motor, then individual motors or central.
I would say initially as existing car, go central, unless you want to engineer a virtual diff.
What electrical system are you most comfortable with-AC orDC? admittedly I would go AC, as an squirrel cage induction motor is cheap, readily available, and an inverter wont brake the bank(regen part can be added to some as a retro fit), also near zero maintenance- no brushes.
 22 June 2012 07:26 AM

rogerbryant

It appears that most of this thread is missing, the OP and contributions from g3xoi are no longer there.

Best regards

Roger
 24 July 2012 10:15 PM

maddisonaa03

Hello everyone,
I was wondering how much electricity it takes to charge an electric car. And is it less expensive to recharge the battery as needed than to buy gas?

Link removed
 11 October 2012 05:19 PM

acsinuk

Hi
1 litre of petrol will produce about 15 kWh of energy of which at least 5 kWh are lost as heat. You may be able to reclaim a little to heat your car!! So say 14 pence per unit.
Depending on your off peak rate; you may find your EV is cheaper to run and maintain but costs of depreciation and replacement battery a query.
CliveS
 05 April 2013 09:20 PM

kernauth

Hey Jencam and all, I share the desire to convert to EV! For a car like the MR2, if you did it yourself, it would cost about $10,000 USD in parts alone- well worth zero emissions imho. That includes motor, batteries, boards, wiring,

Not sure who does it for MR2's but check out canev.com they do canadian conversions for some cars, this should help you get an idea.

Also, some food for thought- the future of the battery as we know it is about to change! Graphene is about the revolutionize the industry; imagine charging your iphone from dead to full in 30 seconds, or charging an electric car...like an MR2 conversion with a graphene supercapacitor battery back in about a minute!

The above mentioned technology was actually discovered by mistake, check it out by doing a google search for "Accidental supercapacitor discovery Brian Golden Davis" and enjoy!

Hope this shed some light and helps!
 08 July 2013 08:41 AM

Danielciara

All Important is we are saving our environment by using electric cars.

Link removed/income-protection.html
 09 July 2013 09:07 AM

amillar

Originally posted by: Danielciara

Be careful here - the case is not clear that an electric car has a smaller environomental footprint to an IC car, partly because of the impact of charging the car and partly because of the impact of building and disposing of the batteries. They do certainly reduce emissions in cities of course.

It is very rare that you find a simple environmental issue! Not that this is any excuse for not trying to address them.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 26 July 2013 05:17 AM

Danielciara

Originally posted by: amillar

Be careful here - the case is not clear that an electric car has a smaller environomental footprint to an IC car, partly because of the impact of charging the car and partly because of the impact of building and disposing of the batteries. They do certainly reduce emissions in cities of course.

It is very rare that you find a simple environmental issue! Not that this is any excuse for not trying to address them.

Every thing in this world has "advantage and disadvantage", but if we think only about disadvantage then unable to use any thing.
Environment is not simple issue it is better that we have to think about it because our future generation will depend on the present.
Every thing in this world depend on the energy, main concern is how we are getting that energy either by saving our natural resources or by wasting them without any concern.
In my opinion we have to use certain type of vehicle like by-cycle for daily purpose lifestyle to contribute a penny towards nature or prefer solar vehicles that completely save our nature.

What we did to nature the nature will return same to us!!

Link removed/income-protection.html
 26 July 2013 11:21 AM

amillar

...or prefer solar vehicles that completely save our nature.

I think you may have missed my point, electric vehicles are certainly not pollution free, and might not even produce less pollution than IC vehicles (depending on how the electricity is generated).

I totally agree that cycling is a much better alternative (for all sorts of reasons)!

And I totally agree that we must reduce our pollution footprint for the human race to survive (although not an expert in this area, I think nature will survive in some form even if we do carry on as we are). But we cannot just assume that because we use something labelled as "green", such as electric cars, that we are actually doing something useful. As I said above, you need to look at the pollution footprint of the electricity generation method, and of the battery manufacturing and disposal.

Edited: 26 July 2013 at 11:34 AM by amillar
 27 July 2013 03:36 PM

jencam

Has any research been carried out into determining the average lifespan of an electric car? Will they last longer than cars with internal combustion engines? What are the most likely reasons why an electric car will be scrapped?
 06 January 2014 09:33 PM

fabriziosibilla

I think that the electric car as "green technology" is overestimated.
We have already today an alternative for emission free car, and is the NGV car that run on bio-methane. As LCA it emits like 5g of CO2 per 100 km when runs on bio-methane, as an electric car that runs on renewable electricity, but we have already the technology at hand. It is possible to convert easily petrol cars to NGVs and biogas production is increasing.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.