Increase font size
Topic Title: Voltage dependant overcurrent
Topic Summary: Electrical Protection
Created On: 17 November 2012 09:13 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 November 2012 09:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

leephillips

I have recently found that the protection relay my company have been looking to use has a strange quirk, the overcurrent needs to see voltage from the VT to operate. I understand this would be standard for voltage dependant protection, however this relay has both voltage dependant and non-voltage dependant but still needs to see a voltage from the VT regardless of the function active. The VT voltage does not need to be the nominal, but >1V needs to be present. I have approached the manufacturer who sends documents telling me they comply to IEC requirements for the time / current curve but I cant seem to get a senible answer on what standards this device as a whole was built to. I suppose the question is; what standards does the relay functionality need to comply with? For obvious reasons I am less than satisfied with the proposed product, but people counting beans are involved so i need a sound argument.
 17 November 2012 12:59 PM

JonathanHill

IEC 60255 is one of the principal standards applying to protection relays.

You could go onto Alstom or Schneider, Siemens protection web sites to see what comparable standards they're quoting for similar protections.

-------------------------
Jonno
 17 November 2012 04:33 PM

AdrianWint

A polarising voltage is also needed for directional overcurrent. Is there any settings for direction or torque angle? If so, this may explain the need for voltage reference to be present.

Adrian
 17 November 2012 07:01 PM

ArthurHall

Lee
What you have is a crude form of distance protection. If the fault is close in then the voltage will be depressed and the over current element will opperate quicker, If the voltage stays up then it assumes a down stream fault and the overcurrent is delayed to allow for grading. I have seen these relays most often in site that have their own generation, such as offshore platforms. There are two basic flavours voltage controlled and voltage dependant, one changes the overcurrent settings in a single step the other changes the overcurrent settings gradually dependent on the voltage.
Some of the solid state relays use the voltage supply to power the circuit board. You could put a voltage from another source onto the VT terminals to make it work as a simple overcurrent, but you would have to check why rhese relays were fitted in the first place and are they still required. Do you have an up to date grading study?
 20 November 2012 07:26 AM

leephillips

Thanks all for the help, I understand the principals for the protection types. I was looking to find the standards that governed the manufacture / operation so I could verify the relays compliance.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.