IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Integrating a new SW Development into existing Design Office
Topic Summary: How far can you stretch a point - or a standard?
Created On: 20 March 2013 01:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 March 2013 01:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

JeffAdams

Good Afternoon Folks,

this is my first posting on any IET forum - apologies if I have selected the wrong section..

I'm working for a company that designs fairly sophisticated kit used for oil exploration. The kit is designed and prototyped in the UK, and then manufactured elsewhere. It's been doing this for around 15 years. All good so far.

The kit has a lot of firmware distributed around it, and features a significant lump of central software for configuration and analysis. The software has traditionally been sourced through a partner, with no need for a local SW development function.

From this February, the software development is being transferred to a new in-house function.

Now - the company uses BS 7000-2 as a template for its processes, and is looking to get BS 9001 compliance.

The idea is to force the Software Develoment processes to fit the BS 7000-2 template.

I suspect this is the wrong approach, despite the fact that the software is being developed against a well understood set of physical principles.

Has anyone here ever tried to create embedded SW development processes that map onto BS 7000-2 with any success, or come to that, lack of success? It seems to me running a separate TickIt scheme for the department is a no-brainer, but the company does not agree!

Does anyone have any comment?

As I said - sorry if this not within the scope of this forum...

Jeff Adams
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.