Increase font size
Topic Title: Electrical Schematics
Topic Summary:
Created On: 17 January 2013 11:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 January 2013 11:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

notlobdivad

Hello, Sorry first time poster, not sure if this is 100% in the correcct catagory.

We are having a review of some of our major systems designs to bring them in-line with modern standards. Whilst I am aware of IEC 60617 standard which we use for the electric symbols, is there a standard for best practice in drawing layouts? I am particularly interested in DC control circuits, PLC I/O etc.

A lot of our drawings are drawn with vertical power rails and show relay logic in a ladder style diagram, however the route I have come into the job, normally I would draw a positive power rail along the top and negative along the bottom. This also appears (from the examples I have viewed) to be similar to the way Electrical CAD Packages arrange their drawings.

Whilst this appears a small and rather insignificant difference, if there is a standard that should be followed, then obviously I am keen to follow it.

David Bolton
 18 January 2013 09:45 AM

pbutts

There are a number of standards that apply to electrical drawings IEC/EN standards. The issue is more about who will be reading them at the end.

For example if they are going to Dubai they run diffeent styles

It would probably be better to find a standard in europe Uk and stick to it.

In my experiance over the years cable colour codes seem to be a bigger issue although there is a standard hardly any one uses it or they have there own preference.
 18 January 2013 09:00 PM

gkenyon

Originally posted by: pbutts
In my experiance over the years cable colour codes seem to be a bigger issue although there is a standard hardly any one uses it or they have there own preference.

BS 7645:1993, IEC 60757:1983 is the standard for colour codes.

This standard implements CENELEC Harmonized Document, HD 457 S1, so I suppose if you choose not to follow it, and someone in the EU makes a mistake and gets hurt as a result of non-standard colour designations on a wiring diagrams, not sure where it would go.

Would recommend if you don't follow this standard, then ensure the key is on every sheet of the diagram, and VERY visible.

BS EN61082-1 is the general standard for laying out circuit diagrams.

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH

Edited: 18 January 2013 at 09:07 PM by gkenyon
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.