Increase font size
Topic Title: Official Standard OEE Calculation
Topic Summary: Official Standards for how to calculate OEE - are there any
Created On: 26 January 2011 03:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 January 2011 03:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Chris Pugsley

Does anybody know if there are any official standards (BS, ISO etc) relating to best practice on calculating OEE. Specifically I'm looking for definitions on what counts as available time, planned time, non counted time etc. We currently have a measure for OEE but I want to know how it comapres to a world class OEE of 85%(?). It severely depends on how you calculate it, what counts as in and what's out.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.
 25 February 2011 07:18 PM

dvaidr

http://www.oeestandard.com/index.html

You might want to look at this. It isn't a standard as a far as I know, there isn't one since the calculation can vary from business to business. The most important thing is though, is to make sure that the methodology you use is used by all involved so that there is no opportunity for variance.

I know I've had to calculate it in different ways for different employers. The Europeans tend to 'standardise' the way in which they calculate it.
 26 September 2011 11:41 AM

arnokoch

The OEE Industry Standard is now completely reviewed and can be found here:

Link removed www dot oeeIndustryStandard dot org

The standard is being supported by the Centre of Excellence for TPM of the Ansbach University of applied Sciences (Germany).
 26 September 2011 05:34 PM

kasese

You have OEE and also OPE (Overall Plant Effectiveness) which is better for process plants
Plenty of information on plant - maintenance.com website (idcon web also - gives some figures)
Basically - Quality (Good product v losses) x Availablity (operating time v stoppages , issue becomes necessary / planned stoppages - do you count?) x performance (accual rate/name plate rate - some companies use highest achievable rate) x 100%
Tim Guy
 27 September 2011 09:59 AM

tomhlaing

I'm picking up on this link VERY late (original posting in Jan 2011) - but i think the comments may be helpful to some:

What ever standard you use, OEE is the link between performance, availability and quality. The link others provide give what they give. You should not say "this cell/plant/office has an OEE of 65% we need to get to world class of 85%". The numbers need to be understood in relation to the wider value stream or system. Also comparing one company's OEE score to another is dangerous regardless of a standard method of calculating it - OEE is relative to itself.

E.g. is this an expensive piece of kit or a bottle neck in the factory? If not then the OEE is what it is (and should always be this until it becomes the problem). Why aim for 100% OEE on all machines!

If it is the bottleneck then its not am aim to get to 100% or even to match another cell/facotry/companies OEE score. But a vision of continuous improvement to reduce the waste accounting of the unplanned losses.

The value is just an indication of where the issues of unplanned losses lie - not always a figure to benchmark against

-------------------------
Tom Hlaing MEng CEng MIET
Council Member
Membership & Professional Development Board
Young Professional Forum
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.