Increase font size
Topic Title: Electronics Engineering in Oil and Gas Industry
Topic Summary: Oil and Gas Industry
Created On: 03 July 2010 01:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 July 2010 01:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

bigbri

Can anyone help?,

I am due to leave the Royal Navy Submarine Service as an Electronics Engineer. I have a BSc in Engineering, Cisco CCNA, 17th Edition wiring regs, and a Graduatship In Leadership and Management (and 22years in Engineering).

Does anybody out there work in the Oil and Gas industry who knows what opportunities lie out there for a chap like me, with the above experience/quals.

All I keep hearing is doom and gloom in the industry and how difficult it can be to get in.

Surely a chap, like me, used to working in harsh environments could get a foot in the door. I understand there are all sorts of Technician type jobs out there, but find it difficult to get anyone to part with this information, oil related.

Even considered ROV pilot/Technician, but that has even more Doom and Gloom attached to it !!!!

Any help would be greately appreciated,

Thanks, and regards,

Brian
 10 November 2011 06:51 PM

james0212

Hi Brian,
I've retired after 25 years in oil & gas, electrical and instrument engineer onshore and offshore, lots of experience all over the world. Sad to say there's not been much in the UK for over 20 years, I went with a French firm who seconded us to Total Oil, Abu Dhabi & Indonesia, and my last position was 9 years with Kuwait Oil. But Brits are getting thin on the ground now as the old skills die out.
So my advice, get out of the UK, use your old contacts in the forces, get familiar with the oil & gas processes and control systems, level, flow, pressure etc. Get a good CV together and try for the roughest worst undesirable position in some remote Russian gas plant. Mine was in Iran in 1976, rough and uncivilised but after a couple of years your CV looks different, you have experience, you are in. I found our British education & skills are far superior to the French or the Americans, you won't have problems with the forces training, but you'll have to learn quickly and be careful. I was at Basra with the REME in 2003/4 so I know your capabilities, good luck.
 11 November 2011 08:09 AM

Pitcaple

Brian,

Not sure why you are hearing "doom and gloom". I have been an electronics engineer in the oil & gas industry for all my working life (>28yrs) always in uk. The job market at the moment is very buoyant, there is a big skills shortage allowing experienced engineers to pick & choose. No signs of any negativity from my viewpoint.
Are you looking in the right places? Try having a look at oilcareers dot com to see if anything matches your skills and expectations.
 11 November 2011 08:50 AM

ANFierman

http://www.zetechtics.com/news...-and-support-engineer
http://www.perryslingsbysystem...obops/PSSL-JOBOPS1.pdf

-------------------------
Andy Fierman

---------------------------
http://signality.co.uk
---------------------------
 24 August 2012 01:08 PM

guitarman002

08 June 2013 12:54 AM

omairh

I am from kuwait ..nd planned to do Msc automation and controls from Newcastle then enter oil and gas field being Bsc in electronic engeering. ..can you please advise me is this wise decision ?
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.