IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Implementing HMI/ SCADA with AB Micro830 controller
Topic Summary: Guidance with software for implementing HMI/SCADA for AB Micro830
Created On: 23 July 2012 05:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 July 2012 05:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Heartnet89

Hi guys,

I am a doing my final year thesis on programming AB Micro830 for basic water rig process. My lecturer would like me to create a HMI / SCADA for it on a computer so that future students can view the flow rate of the water / water level / change the setpoints. I am wondering if anyone can give me a guideline on what software should I use to implement it? Thanks.
 23 July 2012 01:22 PM

oneye

Since you are with Allen Bradley (Rockwell) you may consider the smallest RS View SCADA suite to complement the controller.
You do however need the configuration software and runtime if leaving as a standalone.

Both only cost money to obtain.
 24 July 2012 04:58 PM

Heartnet89

Forgot to mention that I want a PC based HMI with no external hardware thanks
 25 July 2012 08:26 AM

oneye

Hm... RS View is a PC based HMI.

The only hardware you would require is a cable and possibly ethernet switch.
Alternatively you could look at Panelview Plus 6 which is panelmount rather than desktop, but has touchscreen capability
 11 August 2012 04:19 PM

Heartnet89

I don't think the Micro830 is compatible with RS View =)
 12 August 2012 01:14 PM

MAWilson

Haven't done SCADA development in a long while but the controller appears to be MODBUS compatible. Should be able to get the signals through an OPC server if I remember correctly and link it over to most SCADA packages. It's been a long time but I believe this should work.

Edited: 12 August 2012 at 01:28 PM by MAWilson
 13 August 2012 04:31 PM

oneye

You are correct MAWilson.
In fact the Modbus route is probably the only way using the serial port.
AB Micro850 has ethernet which makes it sliightly easier to use, but neither appear to have the standard AB DF1 protocol.

It will connect to RS view, or with any 3rd party SCADA for that matter, but Modbus is not the easiest or best conduit for data transfer.
 27 February 2013 10:53 AM

Heartnet89

Hi, I found the proper software to make my hmi, however, I am having trouble with making my PLC talk to the software via modbus RTU. Do you guys know any other solutions other than paying ridiculous amount of money to buy the opc to modbus servers? Thanks.
 08 March 2013 09:17 AM

MAWilson

From what I recall, you should be able to add the modbus addresses individually by the MS ODBC Data source such as what you would do with SQL data sources but I can't say for certain. It's not the best, especially if you have vast amounts of signals but it may work.

Wish I could point you further but I can't seem to find my log book from when I did all the SCADA development work.
 17 June 2013 09:57 AM

soniya12

The Micro 830 series uses Modbus RTU protocol, which is probably the most popular serial protocol for automation ever. So your options for SCADA/HMI are very wide open.

Do you have a background in a particular programming language (Python, Visual Basic, C++, etc) ? Does this HMI need to be PC-based ?

Do you prefer an Australian commercial product ? Or a Rockwell Automation product (to match the Micro 830 controller), or an open-source product ?

My first choice, personally, would be Inductive Automation's Ignition software, since it's been so very easy to use and has a free "Panel Edition" license. The main gotcha there is that it uses only Modbus/TCP protocol (Modbus over Ethernet) so you'll need some kind of Modbus/TCP to Modbus RTU serial converter.

There are quite a few open-source or free options, like IntegraXor, Mango M2M, PVBrowser, and mblogic
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.