Increase font size
Topic Title: AS INTERFACE + ATEX EQUIPMENT
Topic Summary: Query
Created On: 27 June 2012 04:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 June 2012 04:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

csjones

Good afternoon,

I'm an electrical engineering apprentice working for a Biomass Gasification power plant company.

My question is:

Currently our work involves producing a gas which is explosive when in contact with air, therefore we use ATEX rated sensors and barriers etc. and take necessary precautions to prevent any sparks which may cause an explosion. We are having a design review and came across ASI-Bus and unfortunately, we don't not have any information whether our temperature/pressure/flow transmitters (which are in direct contact with the gas) can somehow be connected to the ASI Bus. Is there a way to do it ?

Any help would be grateful.

Thanks.

Chris
 27 June 2012 10:53 PM

neilparsons

I have used AS-i before and only seen AS-i modules suitable for a cat 3D (zone 22 dust) environment. You could wire you instrumentation through i.s. barriers and then connect onto the AS-i in a safe area but there would be no real advantage over going back to a PLC rack as normal. Alternatively you could house the i.s.barrier and AS-i module in an Exd enclosure in the hazardous area but this would be expensive.

Profibus PA is the fieldbus of choice for hazardous area instrumentation so this may be a better bet.
 28 June 2012 02:40 PM

stableford

I would agree with Neil, Profibus DP for you general areas, and Profibus PA for the Atex zones. There are many sensors for the PA network, with a lot of material out there.
Check out, Profibus.com
Get some training, if your in the uk, Manchester uni, runs courses, and has a good profi tech centre.
Also google Andy Vermeer. He has good papers on testing, and commissioning Profibus.
I'm a Profibus certified engineer, took my course, in Tennessee. I'm one of 55 in Canada. It had the toughest exams I've ever had for a four day course. It was no turn up, and you've passed, you earn the qualification. Which means you have the confidence to get er done.

Regards

Derrick
 09 July 2012 09:39 AM

csjones

Thank you for your assistance.
We recently had a conference with Siemens and they advised us on our choices for communications throughout the plant.

It was great help from both of you.

Cheers,

Chris
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.