Increase font size
Topic Title: Electrical die casting machines
Topic Summary: die casting machine design
Created On: 20 March 2012 08:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 March 2012 08:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jpichaimuthu

Hi

My name is Jag, I started working as a Electrical design engineer recently .
I am working on a Project for changing the control systems for die casting machines with PLC's.
At the moment we have a Wotan Die casting machine and we are struggling on the Printed circuit boards used in these machines.

Do anyone know anywhere I can get the Printed circuit boards for old Woltan Aluminium die casting machines?

Or
If anyone can help me with the Circuit diagram for these machines?

or
Anyone who can repair these boards

Kind regards
Jag
 21 March 2012 08:55 AM

oneye

Welcome to the fast learning curve of systems engineering..

Even before you start I would ask yourself 4 questions:
- How old is the machine
- How effective would it be in full working order to the business (in asset terms)
- can you obtain spares, mechanical/hydraulic/pneumatic
- Do you know exactly how it should work

I assume you have trawled the 'net for any information and have very little to go on.
You may find someone local to attempt repair of the circuit boards but unlikely to guarantee anything without circuit diagrams.

Work out I/O requirments for a new PLC, letting your people know the costs as you do so.
If costs are no problem you are on the way to a new control system...
 21 March 2012 09:24 AM

HKafeman

I used to work for Rockwell Automation and I knew that they could offer 3rd party repair.

So I contacted one of my ex-colleagues and he has replied:

"Not sure where you can these boards from but regarding repair we can offer this service as Rockwell aquired the leading 3rd party electronic repair company, Lektronix, last year. They have a UK repair house in Birmingham with 60 technicians."

Tel: +44 (0)1922 455 555
Fax: +44 (0)1922 457 157
Email: sales@lektronix.net

I hope that helps, but I would also echo "oneeye"'s comments as, depending on circumstances, it may be better to take the bull by the horns and to replace the machine or at least its control system. If the latter then you need to know or acertain full details of how it should work as he said.

I could perhaps help you with some of the Systems Engineering and PLC programming if that would be of any interest.

Good luck and please update this topic with details of how you proceed.

-------------------------
Henry Kafeman

HDK Solutions Ltd.
Investigate, Analyse, Resolve
Tel: +44 (0)1908 866921
 21 March 2012 07:37 PM

jpichaimuthu

Hi oneeye, sorry since i didint know your name.
First of all thank you vey much for your reply, you are right these machines need new control system.

Q1. The machine was build in 1960's
Q2. Ours is a small company and we have 6 Woltan and 7 SMT die casting machines all with old control systems.
Q3. i cant get all spare pats reallyy speaking, because the control system are in 60V dc, i couldint even find a relay for these machines it is really a pain to find parts.
Q4. we do have some circuit diagrams on which we depend on.

I am working on a project through sheffield uni for the company for changing the control system of all these machines. Since this is my second job and i didint have much idea about the die casting machine i am in learning stage still.

and we have to change one by one beacuse we dont want to stop the production, thats why i am looking for these boards to keep the machine running and satisfy the customer needs.

Thank you
Jag
 21 March 2012 07:44 PM

jpichaimuthu

Hi Henry,

Thank you very much for your reply and the useful information you have given.

I will contact Lektonix regarding repairing these boards.

we are planning to change the control systems, actually thats my original project. its just that we have 6 of this machines while i am working the project want the machine running if any breakdown have spare boards.

Thank you very much for your offer of help, surely will contact you when company sets time for changing the control systems for the machines.

kind regards
Jag
 27 March 2012 03:24 PM

iie63674

Remember that if you change the control system you will be placing a new machine on the market, and hence will need to comply with the Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations.
 10 October 2012 06:22 AM

margaritelsoto

Die casting is a versatile process for producing engineered metal parts by forcing molten metal under high pressure into reusable steel molds. These molds, called dies, can be designed to produce complex shapes with a high degree of accuracy and repeatability. Parts can be sharply defined, with smooth or textured surfaces, and are suitable for a wide variety of attractive and serviceable finishes.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.