IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Help Required: Programming VoIP in C
Topic Summary: Iam implementing IP Based Call Center as my Final Year Project. Need to gather material regarding VoIP Programming
Created On: 06 December 2009 02:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 December 2009 02:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

irfanelahi136

Hi, Can anyone please tell me where can i get enough helping material that may aid me in Programming VoIP? I need study material to implement my Final Year Project. Guidance will be really appreciated. Waiting for replies.
 17 December 2009 02:42 AM

whizzkid007

Ever heard of SIP?

-------------------------
Tosin Ogunrinde BSc(Hons) MSc MIET

Edited: 22 December 2009 at 10:20 AM by whizzkid007
 29 December 2009 11:26 AM

danycrixx

The SIP protocol is a TCP/IP-based Application Layer protocol. SIP is designed to be independent of the underlying transport layer; it can run on Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), User Datagram Protocol (UDP), or Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP).[3] It is a text-based protocol, incorporating many elements of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) and the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP),[4] allowing for direct inspection by administrators.

regards,
Danycrixx.

business ip phones northampton

Edited: 29 December 2009 at 11:39 AM by danycrixx
 30 December 2009 07:20 AM

andy01

I think the question is way too vague myself.

The VoIP part is relatively straightforward, but it depends completely on the platform. On windows, you just need to understand the Windows WaveIn/Out scheme described in the platform SDK help. That gets you formatted blocks of audio data via the OS, from a microphone and to speakers.

The actual wave data is in a range of formats, but it does do simple 16bit 44Khz sampling easily. From what I remember it works by callback. You supply a function to handle the callbacks, and the OS calls you in real-time. The data passed is in blocks of memory which you must allocate. The data is passed in groups of samples for efficiency.

If the VoIP scheme is private for you, then you can just send the raw data through a socket and forget about SIP. On windows that's the "OpenSocket" call. I don't know what the SIP/VoIP encoding spec is, but perhaps MP3? Maybe it's even plain samples.

SIP is fairly well documented, just Google for it. As far as I can remember it's basically standard HTTP scheme (more or less plain text) with an XML document passed as content, and interpreted as advisory/instruction. For that you'd need a rudimentary HTTP server and an XML parser.

In truth a full SIP/VoIP implementation from scratch would seem a bit extreme for a final year undergrad project, especially in conjunction with all the other stuff I'm sure they'll be asking of you. Perhaps, you could provide more detail on the parts you really need to implement.

That said given that you posted months ago, I guess you'll probably be well under way by now!
 11 March 2010 02:48 PM

SamJeffries

Quote: Hi, Can anyone please tell me where can i get enough helping material that may aid me in Programming voip? I need study material to implement my Final Year Project. Guidance will be really appreciated. Waiting for replies
[

Not sure what is meant by programming voip. Sounds like it is some type of college course with a programming project as the outcome? In any event, you might consider looking at some of the voip applications that have been written as open source for the iphone or other open source applications. Another idea would be to intern for a few months . Good luck! Sam

Edited: 12 March 2010 at 01:25 PM by SamJeffries
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.