IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: City & Guilds Professional Recognition Awards (9200)
Topic Summary: Anyone got this
Created On: 09 February 2013 11:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 February 2013 11:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

MrP

City & Guilds Professional Recognition Awards (9200)

http://www.cityandguilds.com/C...nition-awards/level-5

Guys anyone got this or any of you trainers out there deliver this
Looking at the 9200/20

It would be distance learning

MrP
 09 February 2013 12:18 PM

Legh

I can't see the reason for this qualification myself.
It has no credit accreditation so Nil Points.

It appears to be for those with lots of experience and no formal education.

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 09 February 2013 12:27 PM

Zs

How's it going out there in the sand pit?

Interesting you should come up with this. These were drawn to my attention recently and I've been looking at the level 4. The truth is I'm not much of a badge collector but I find myself stepping into the realms of those who like badges more than personality. I've had the IET forms sitting on my desk for months, all completed and sponsored and not bothered but I must send them off pronto.

I think Pete TLM has one of these, he may see this and tell us the process.

I called them with the application form in front of me to ask what the process is. The application form is little more than a payment form and I wondered how they assess.

It was suggested that I send a full pack of information with the application form and that it is a one attempt on paper only.

Will I do it? I just don't know. Jobbo suggested that the payment is not refundable if they decide against. That irks me somewhat.

But, for reasons outside of professional image, I might do; They offer an award ceremony (mortar board and all that stuff). My inner reason for going for IET is so that I can take my Dad for breakfast in the Faraday Lounge one day in a 'come to my club' kind of surprise. If I go for this it will be the same reason. My Dad has a history in Engineering and unbeknownst to me until last year, my Grandfather used to design sub stations with an old drawing pen and beautiful old rulers which I have as my own now. Grandad had a massive fall-out with the post master general of the time, a bloke called Clement Atlee on the subject of electrical safety, resulting in him upping sticks and moving to North London from somewhere near Peckham practically overnight. It must be in the blood this engineering lark. I've caused stress to my folks in a loose-cannon way for years and the prospect of a bit of pay back appeals.

So, for all the wrong reasons, I'm looking at this. All well and good if it helps the coming off the tools project.

Are you planning to go for it?

I must get on. I had a burger king yesterday and today is simply galloping by.

Zs

Edited: 09 February 2013 at 03:08 PM by Zs
 09 February 2013 07:37 PM

jcm256

That award seems to be new from 2012. Yes I would say worthwhile City and Guilds is very highly regarded worldwide, in the UK you have to place the awards - LCGI, AfCGI, GCGI and MCGI before any other designator letters I.e. - CEng, CEng, EngTech, ICTTech,

You can look for your self by putting in a postcode, for centres supplying this course.

http://www.cityandguilds.com/C...nition-awards/level-5

In the sand where you are higher City & Guilds qualification may be of more value than any other as it is well respected worldwide. I Eng for example is only in the UK.

Regards
Jcm GCGI IEng MIET

Edited: 10 February 2013 at 09:52 AM by jcm256
 10 February 2013 08:02 AM

MrP

Hi Zs
Hope you are well
Life in the sand pit is Sh#te no I mean Sh#te I took it as a stop gap till something better came up, been here a year now ,need to stay at least till April to keep out of the clutches of the bad man the tax man. Did I say its sh#te here.
With a new wife back in the UK I'm looking and applying for anything that pays preferable somewhere my wife and I can be together and unfortunately and I don't blame her she will not live in Saudi. Not a lot in the UK
Qatar/Oman would be an option but unfortunately everyone is asking for a degree especially in Qatar, you will not get into any reasonable position without a degree. Qatar has sheds loads of work ongoing and coming off, paying top dollar, no degree your out.
As you well know I'm not the sharpest knife in the draw and have managed to muddle through life so far without a degree. Apparently degrees are the new O level.
Now as you read this to the right hand side of the IET site is a flyer for Lincoln University who are offering a BS Engineering degree distance learning.
One of the prerequisite requirements to get on the course was to have the above mentioned C&G qualification so hence my post
A distance learning degree would be right up my street as lots of free Saudi time
So there you go, if I can find somewhere that does the C&G course distance learning I will try and do it
At the moment the Saudi government is trying to integrate women into the work place, so when you now go to Carefore for your sliced loaf and economy tin of beans there are pink boxes that the female checkout girls sit in so you can't see them. You couldn't make it up.

MrP Back home at the end of the month on a visa run
 10 February 2013 11:06 AM

Zs

Mr P,

Your link is different fromt the one I was using and yours is more detailed. You know I said that I thought this one was really just a badge.

Am I mising something here? It still looks to me as though the awards are not an actual course with extra learning, but rather are awarded after assessment of your existing qualifications, combined with what you are doing in the engineering industry. i.e that the applicant builds a case for one rather than sitting an exam and doing a few adiabatic equations in three hours. I looked at the 'other' information download on the page which is open to us mere mortals and can't see that it covers actual 'new learning'. Hence I'll not get a level 5 because I don't have an ivory tower to sit in and organise a team from.

I might have missed the point completely though, I'm sure someone who has one will tell us......Pete? You there? Is it you? Or maybe B6 will have a bit more insider C&G info.

Watch this space, you might not need a course. If so, you check mine and I'll check yours.

I understand your new wife not wanting to go to saudi. One of the few places I'd not go to work or live. My mate's wife got caught driving a car albeit quite a few years back, they went to his office, arrested him and banged him up and left her alone. he was there for three days.

What about registering your skills with a UK engineering (geek) agency? It's what I did so in effect I freelance where the work is and the agency sell me to the clients. Some of the postings are international. I'm going back to a desk in a little while for another stint. Perhaps a conversation to have off-line and I'll introduce you to them.

Zs
 10 February 2013 01:03 PM

jcm256

Sorry, took some of the links off because if you edit the post the links then don't open. Don't really know anything about this new Affiliateship of City and guilds but seems to be placed above Licentiateship, and that's highly regarded.

http://www.cvqo.org/dnn/Qualif...ge/en-GB/Default.aspx

Regards
jcm
 10 February 2013 08:36 PM

peteTLM

Hi Zs,

sorry not to be on call to the forum, been skiing in Les gets.

er,yes, ive got LCGI, and lots of others on here have it as well.
(in fact one greedy person has LCGI twice in 2 slightly different disciplines).
Its equivalent to an NVQ4 .
It was an assessment of your past qualifications, and my understanding is that they were looking for continous learning and improvement.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 11 February 2013 05:14 AM

MrP

Hi Pete
Did you do it via a C&G centre and if so which one, I have mailed a UK centre that I have a slight association with and there not interested so if you can please help
Zs once I figure out how to PM I will drop you a line, thank you.

MrP
 11 February 2013 08:13 AM

Zs

There you go Mr P...look at the top of your screen and you should see '1 new message' . I've sent you my email address.

Zs
 11 February 2013 08:33 AM

peteTLM

Hello Mr P,
I did it directly with city and guilds. Im not sure if this avenue is still open ( i guess not as they have been going on about withdrawing that option for over a year).

P

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 11 February 2013 02:23 PM

dlane

Originally posted by: MrP

Now as you read this to the right hand side of the IET site is a flyer for Lincoln University who are offering a BS Engineering degree distance learning.

One of the prerequisite requirements to get on the course was to have the above mentioned C&G qualification so hence my post

Have you approached Lincoln University formally to see if you would be accepted?

Although they have prerequisites for joining they are flexible on that and if you can show that you have the required experience along with some qualifications you may be accepted.

They do have options for the course for those with lower qualifications to do the degree in 3 years with extra modules or to do bridging modules to bring you up to the required standard without doing a full course prior to the BSc.

KInd regards

Donald Lane
 12 February 2013 02:51 PM

OMS

Mr P - whilst I would be the last to discourage anyone from getting more education and training (and that doesn't mean certificates and badges - they are just a by product at the end) I would seriously suggest you speak to a few recruitment people who actually understand what you want to do and what quals you already have.

I seem to recall pointing you a few that got you into the ***** in the Sand Pit - there are others that specialsie in different regions out there - for a fact, degrees are not a pre requisite if you can cut through the dross and get at the people that matter. We've just placed a few of our guys out in Oman and Quatar (basically as a rest from Saudi Bin Laden and DAR) - they are embedded as site RE's - basically MEP CoW's on the client side - and a good number of them aren't degree qualified by any stretch of the imagination.

If I were you, I wouldn't taking a bride anywhere near Saudi even if she wanted to go - it's a bloody foul place - there are better parts of the area to go to if you don't fancy bachelor postings.

What sort of work are you looking for ?

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 13 February 2013 07:27 AM

MrP

OMS
I remember well it was 2008 that I posted "anyone know about working or getting a job in the Middle East" and you were one of the people who posted recruitment consultants links for the Middle East
The forum does work
So that makes it your fault
After doing three and a bit years with Balfours in Dubai Abu Dhabi and getting married I took the Saudi gig as a stop gap but been here a year now on the ITCC Riyadh project with Hanmi Parsons as M&E project managers Dar Riyadh are the consultants
Knocking my CV out with the majority of opportunities being in Qatar, the feedback that any reasonable package are looking for degree. As you well know there are people out here who proclaim all sorts of letters after their name with more degrees than a thermometer but in reality know jack sh#te.
I am aware that there are positions out there without a degree required it's just finding them
I have muddled through life so far, the degree is achievable and I have the spare time while in Saudi/ME I will also have the piece of paper that says I too know jack sh#te.
The new and current Mrs. P and I would certainly entertain Qatar/Oman under no circumstance would I inflict Saudi on her. Saudi is sh#te but it pays the bills for now.
MrP
 13 February 2013 09:05 AM

OMS

Sorry for that Mr P - I guess I didn't warn you beforehand

I'll get the contacts list out later and see what I can find - it's a bit early yet, but keep an eye out for the construction phases of Khasab Port in Oman and Port Sultan Qaboos in Muscat - the local gossip will point you at the right recruitment people.

As for having a bit of paper that confirms being ***** - well there's nothing wrong with a bit of creativity on your CV - big up whatever college you went to and tell them it's now a University - you know the drill, no one checks - you just need to open the door - and there's always photoshop for certificates -

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 13 February 2013 01:43 PM

dickllewellyn

If you fancied a change from the sand Mr P, theirs some extensive work going on Nigeria way? Have a look at Lekki deep sea port. I have a friend over here who comes from that neck of the woods who showed me and seems to think he could speak to some relevent people if I fancied it, I'm sure I could pass information on.

Personally I'd keep looking in Qatar!

A little of thread, I do apologise!

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 14 February 2013 06:01 AM

MrP

Many thanks Tricky
While nowhere is 100% safe and you could get sqwhoosed under the number 97 bus on the high street call me old fashioned but I will probably give Nigeria a miss.
The compound that I reside has a 12foot concrete wall with razor wire a tank and a small army detachment at the front gate. If you have seen the Kingdom Tower its one of the compounds that was attacked by terrorists in about 2004/5ish hence the tank and army presence.
The car is searched for bombs on entry but there is probably more chance of getting hurt in the traffic.
The Saudis have an altogether new look at the flow of traffic, if the road was say designed for three lanes but in reality six car widths could fit they it becomes seven lanes and when the road is absolute chaos as is most of the time there's always the pavement, in rush hour which lasts from about 6am till about 10pm when the road is clogged there is always a steady flow of traffic along the pavement
And just when you think it couldn't get any worse someone wants to come the other way on the wrong side on the pavement and why shouldn't he, then it gets a little complicated.
Traffic lights work on the bases that no one really adheres to them especially if something's coming the wrong way, so stop at a red light at your peril.
The bit I really don't get, in the UK if someone cuts you up or if you had to swerve to miss an oncoming car coming up a one way street the other way, we get really uptight and the blood starts to boil here no one gives it a second thought
Maybe we should take a leaf out of their book remember when you get in your car today the white lines are only a guide

MrP
 14 February 2013 07:45 AM

dickllewellyn

I know what you're saying mr p, Nigeria wasn't top of my list of safe places to visit either! I've never enjoyed the traffic of Saudi, but I love the chaos I've experienced in Tanzania, sounds much the same except the pavements are mud!

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 24 May 2013 01:26 PM

MrP

Professional recognition award level 7
For info
I contacted C&G and did the award with a very nice C&G lady called Margaret, its took me two months from initial enquiry to award. I now have the award it cost £820 for the assessment, gives you a level 7 assessment award IMHO it's not so difficult to get and worth getting. fingers crossed I have just secured a job on the strength of it.

2391 I&T will give you a level 3 the new 2400 D&V will give you a level 4. a HNC is a level 4

If your in the job market its worth getting as the nice lady from tesco says every little bit helps its worth 820 quid if it gets you a job

http://www.cityandguilds.com/C...lification-Comparison

MrP The tunnel is dug
 24 May 2013 01:31 PM

MrP

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.