Topic Title: landlords pretend cert
Topic Summary:
Created On: 30 January 2013 06:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 February 2013 07:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sparkingchip

It seems to be the thing now with private landlords to have a inventory taken with photos of everything which should quickly identify if a light fitting has been changed, unless the original one was put back up again on their departure.

The usual tenant activity seems to to disabled smoke alarms and I'd expect anyone doing a visual to test these at the same time using the built in test facilities, I'd also keep a eye open for incorrect lamps in light fittings that may cause problems, but would stop short of taking lamps out of down lights to see if someone had installed dichroic rather than aluminium reflector lamps. A RCD test with the test button would be in order as well.

Back when I did the inspection and testing course over ten years ago we were told it is mainly inspection with a little bit of testing at the end, probably 95%:5% so the visual so the main part anyway. Throw in a couple of loop and RCD tests and you should have a good idea of how it compares to the last EICR, providing of course you have a copy of that report. Particularly if you have been in and done work in the interim and issued certification for it.

One thing I would be very cautious of would be be undertaking a visual condition reports without evidence of previous certification including a EICR as I see the VCR as a checking process not a full confirmation as the satisfactory condition of the installation.

Andy
IET » Wiring and the regulations » landlords pretend cert

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.