Increase font size
Topic Title: emergency lighting battery pack question
Topic Summary: Seems wrong to me
Created On: 11 November 2012 06:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 November 2012 06:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

nlasen

Hi all, working on a job currently where we are installing some fancy linear Wila light fittings. As the lights are very slimline in construction they have no room inside them for the battery packs to fit. We have been supplied with the batteries as a sepperate part , however they are simply the battery cells in the normal white heatshrink sleeving with the lead coming off of them . As these lights are mounted on a plasterboard ceiling the batteries are meant to be put into the void above the lights. This seems wrong to me as all the other ones i have done like this come in an enclosure of some sort. Is there any regs against this or is this just how they are meant to be installed. The instructions show nothing of any relevance so no help there.

Any oppinions please as i do not want to bee seen to be causing problems with a light that has been supplied by our clients.

Thanks

Nick
 12 November 2012 12:07 AM

peteTLM

Its quite common to have a 'battery sausage' or something that looks like a sock, so it can be pushed up through a tiny hole.

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 12 November 2012 09:08 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: peteTLM
Its quite common to have a 'battery sausage' or something that looks like a sock, so it can be pushed up through a tiny hole.

There's enough of it about, don't give them ideas!

Regards
 12 November 2012 10:10 AM

zeeper

Your best bet is to look at the manufactures documentation to see how they show the battieries fitted. If the manufactures documentations shows the batteries in an enclosure you can point to regulation 134.1.1.

Is the battery charger and change over gear in the light fitting and its just the batteries that are remote to the fitting.?
 12 November 2012 10:55 AM

nlasen

Yes teh control gear is in ther fitting, the pack is just a stand alone item, in the normal white heatshrunk covering the cells come in from the factory. We have got some of the downlight emergency packs , which do come in a fire retardent sausage covering, but these packs are from a different manufacturer and are nothing like these.

Will try and find the installation instructions but i am sure there was no reference to how they are to be installed.

Thanks so far

Nick
]
 13 November 2012 09:12 AM

zeeper

The ones I use come with plastic mounts that slide on each end of the stick to allow a screw fixing to the light, the mount also lifts it away from the surface by a couple of mm.The batts can get warm in service and I think it would be better practice if possible not to have them laying on a hot surface.
Ive never come across them not installed in some sort of enclosure though.

Also are the wires from the battery stick sheathed or just basic insulation.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.