Increase font size
Topic Title: Kitchen Appliance Switches
Topic Summary:
Created On: 24 February 2012 05:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 February 2012 05:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Vulcan

I'm fitting 7 fixed appliances (oven, hob, fridge, etc) in a new kitchen. Each will have a cable outlet fed from individual RCBOs in a Consumer Unit in the next room.

The Regs say "permanently connected equipment ...... should be controlled by a switch, where needed. A separate switch is not required if the circuit breaker is to be used as a switch".

Do I have to provide individual DP isolator switches within 2m of each appliance, or will the RCBOs suffice?
 24 February 2012 06:21 PM

Legh

I can't find anything within the regulations that stipulates you must have local isolation in a domestic environment, except for the cooker radial, although I would expect that it is regarded as good practice to provide local isolation.

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 24 February 2012 06:56 PM

spud28

I think that you used to be able to get away with using an MCB or RCBO for isolation, but i noticed p.179 of the new onsite guide stipulates a Swfused spur, S/O or DP switch.
 24 February 2012 07:11 PM

OldSparky

i think that means if the mcb is close by..

expensive using 7 rcbos???
 24 February 2012 07:24 PM

perspicacious

"expensive using 7 rcbos???"

It depends what client base you want.

Some are happy with the lower end of the market

Regards

BOD
 24 February 2012 08:00 PM

alancapon

Originally posted by: spud28
. . . but i noticed p.179 of the new onsite guide stipulates a Swfused spur, S/O or DP switch. . .

The on-site guide is just that - it is a guide to a method of complying with the regulations, not the regulations themselves.

Regards,

Alan.
 24 February 2012 09:20 PM

gkenyon

"permanently connected" does not necessarily include appliances plugged in to a socket behind the appliance.

It will, however, apply to appliances connected by Connection Unit (including Coocer CU) or Fused Connection Unit.

Most domestic installations are covered by the Reg that states there must be a DP isolator in the CU, meaning that can be used for isolation in any case of emergency.

Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH
 26 February 2012 08:46 AM

Vulcan

Thanks for your comments. Perhaps I should have asked the question the other way: How would you connect 7 fixed appliances in the kitchen? Straight back to the Consumer Unit with individual MCBs and a DP Isolating Switch?
 13 February 2013 07:12 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: Legh
I can't find anything within the regulations that stipulates you must have local isolation in a domestic environment, except for the cooker radial, although I would expect that it is regard

You're thinking parochially, and not speaking for the U.K. which currently includes Scotland. The building regulations here require local isolation for built in appliances!

Regards
 13 February 2013 08:04 AM

dickllewellyn

I once did a kitchen with loads of appliances in, we ended up taking a 40A submain to a little unit in the top of one of the wall units. We then did exactly as you suggest, a separate circuit breaker for each appliance then wired straight to the appliance with no unsightly rows or banks of switches taking up the little wall space between work top and wall units.

Client was happy, big red book was happy, I was happy.

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 13 February 2013 01:45 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: Vulcan
I'm fitting 7 fixed appliances (oven, hob, fridge, etc) in a new kitchen. Each will have a cable outlet fed from individual RCBOs in a Consumer Unit in the next room.

The Regs say "permanently connected equipment ...... should be controlled by a switch, where needed. A separate switch is not required if the circuit breaker is to be used as a switch".

Do I have to provide individual DP isolator switches within 2m of each appliance, or will the RCBOs suffice?

I'd be keen to fit local isolation for the oven and hob.

Coincidentally I had a conversation with a couple of kitchen fitters this morning who seemed stunned when I said that as far as I know there is no requirement to have local isolation for sockets supplying appliances below the worktop.

"What if an appliance fuse blows" said one of them.

Well what are you going to do, replace the fuse and blow another one or pull the appliance out to see what the problem is, in which case you can get to the plug fuse anyway.
 13 February 2013 02:57 PM

johnelectrical

oven/hob fixed appliance, local isolation not behind hob but within 2M, but is it classed as an emergency switch because of heat source and if so has the local isolator got to be visable?
what about hob extractor too?
 13 February 2013 04:08 PM

ebee

Originally posted by: OldSparky

i think that means if the mcb is close by..

expensive using 7 rcbos???

Not really, a few years ago they might have been £50/£60/£70 each + VAT but now far cheaper.

I recently fitted a Dual RCD board , 2 Rings and one lighting covered by one RCD and 1 ring & one lighting covered by the other RCD then Four RCBOs for other circuits.

Wholesaler commented "Expensive way to do it" but I replied "Not that much when you consider the benefits that amount of discrimination between earth fault outages you might prevent".

One plain switch and all RCBOs now looks more attractive than it used to pricewise.

Having said that "Im still a frontender personally".

And yes you`ve guessed , I`m not frightened of rings. LOL

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 13 February 2013 08:28 PM

spinlondon

Seems to be a few with the misconception that a cooker requires local isolation?
Not been required since the 15th.
 13 February 2013 08:38 PM

DOUGIE1000

Was the 2mtr rule for cooker switches not done away with?

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 14 August 2013 06:51 AM

jamespenn

Isolator switches are a better idea for installation. I too am having a similar arrangement for which people suggest that RCB's direct connection could be a problem in future.
lists

Edited: 14 August 2013 at 06:59 AM by jamespenn
 14 August 2013 11:18 AM

peteTLM

Originally posted by: spinlondon

Seems to be a few with the misconception that a cooker requires local isolation?

Not been required since the 15th.

probably me, but i thought it was done away with the change to the 17th, altough local isolation is still ''preferential engineering' with millions of new homes and high end stuff still done that way.

Its just the lower end, see what we can get rid of band that ditches everything.
Fan isolators are still a favourite of AE's, they can also of course be isolated by the main switch, as can everything else.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 14 August 2013 10:46 PM

largelunchbox

am i missing something or having a blonde moment, isolation aside surely the appliances need to be fused correctly? ie hob ignition 3amp, hood 3amp,ect
 16 August 2013 12:58 PM

AJJewsbury

am i missing something or having a blonde moment, isolation aside surely the appliances need to be fused correctly? ie hob ignition 3amp, hood 3amp,ect

They'll need suitable protection - but that's not necessarily by a local fuse. If the MCB is suitably rated then why not use that? Remember that most appliances will be produced for the entire European market and everyone else out there doesn't have plug fuses or FCUs - everything's just protected by the final circuit's MCB/RCBO at the CU.
- Andy.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.