Increase font size
Topic Title: Post installation dilema
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 May 2010 08:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 May 2010 08:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

c7borg

On 4 Jan, 18:04, "js.b1" <js...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Read SI 2006 on ODPM. There are notifiable & non-notifiable works.
>
> Notifiable works...
> - New final circuit
> - New SWA to shed or garage
> - Extending final circuit in kitchen & bathroom
> - Changing a CU re enclosure and protective devices (CPD)
> - etc
>
> NON-Notifiable...
> - Maintenance operations even in special locations or connected with
> them
> - Extending any circuit not in a special location (extending power
> circuits, light circuits)
> - Replacing a RCD, RCBO (eg, no trip on test button)
> - Replacing a shower
> - Replacing a SWA cable to a shed
> - Replacing any circuit cable (circuit defined as supplied by a CPD)
> - Changing an enclosure (including a CU enclosure, but not all CPD)
> - Extending a porch, shed, garage circuit is not a special location
> - etc
>
> So a "rewire" may not require much notification at all.

Where can I qualify the above info, as I've had all the circuits replaced in my house and had an electrician replace the CU and test all circuits. The problem is that we are selling the house and the solicitor is requesting a compliance certificate for the electrical works but all I have is the paperwork for the CU replacement and test. I'm not sure what I should now do?

Any advice appreciated
 07 May 2010 09:04 PM

matt001

Just hand over what you have, tell them that's all you've got and see what the other side says. It should be OK... if not then they'll tell you what they want you to do.
 07 May 2010 09:32 PM

AJJewsbury

Where can I qualify the above info

Try the Approved Document P - which you can download for free from here: http://www.planningportal.gov....bcapproveddocuments12

Did you get a building regs cert from the electrician from the CU change?

If everything else was not notifiable, then the phrase "No other notifiable electrical work since 1-Jan-2005" should pacify them.

- Andy.
 07 May 2010 09:35 PM

alancapon

I think you will find that a rewire is notifiable under Part P of the Building Regulations, so is the replacement of the consumer unit. It sounds as if you have the test certificates, which is a start. If the works were carried out after the addition of Part P of the Building Regulations (I can't remember the date this was introduced), then you should also have a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate. If this is what is missing, then you may need to approach the Local Authority Building Control department. Either way, the solicitor who is handling your house sale should be able to help.

Regards,

Alan.
 07 May 2010 10:20 PM

John Peckham

C7BORG

Welcome to the forum.

If you rewire and new consumer unit was installaed after the 1 January 2005 then the work was notifiable under the Building Regulations. The work should have been done by an approved person who would have notified the local building control on completion of the work and you would have been sent a building comletion notice. Alternatively if a non-approved person did the work he/she should have pre-notified the Building Control for them to inspect and test and send you the completion notice.

I suspect from your post none of the 2 legal options were used. If this is the case you can apply for Regularisation of the work by paying a fee to your local building control and applying for the work to be tested and inspected. If they are staisfied with the work they will issue a Building Regulations completion notice.

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 07 May 2010 11:32 PM

c7borg

Originally posted by: John Peckham

C7BORG

Welcome to the forum.

If you rewire and new consumer unit was installaed after the 1 January 2005 then the work was notifiable under the Building Regulations. The work should have been done by an approved person who would have notified the local building control on completion of the work and you would have been sent a building comletion notice. Alternatively if a non-approved person did the work he/she should have pre-notified the Building Control for them to inspect and test and send you the completion notice.

I suspect from your post none of the 2 legal options were used. If this is the case you can apply for Regularisation of the work by paying a fee to your local building control and applying for the work to be tested and inspected. If they are staisfied with the work they will issue a Building Regulations completion notice.

Thankyou for the welcome..

You are correct it is the latter, I will speak to building control and see if I can apply for the regularisation.

edit: I have had a look round a couple of council websites and they seem to suggest that they don't except Regularisation for electrical work. However,I will still give them a call and see what they suggest afterall it has been tested as safe by a qualified electrician.

Edited: 07 May 2010 at 11:39 PM by c7borg
 08 May 2010 12:20 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

rocknroll

Who is you Local Authority?

PM if you want confidentiality.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 08 May 2010 07:23 PM

Jointbox

Hand over all the paperwork you have to your solicitor and he will be able to advise you from there. I have had the same problem with a boiler installation at a property I have just purchased. The vender could not come up with all the paper work that my solicitor requested.

In the end the vender had to pay for an indemnity insurance against the boiler installation at a cost of sixty pounds. I understand from my solicitor that this is common practise for missing, or not self certificated work carried out in properties these days, makes me wonder if its worth paying out for all these self certification schemes.

Edited: 08 May 2010 at 07:53 PM by Jointbox
 08 May 2010 07:32 PM

normcall

"if it worth paying out for all these self certification schemes. "

That's heresy!! wash your mouth out!

Norman
 08 May 2010 07:58 PM

Jointbox

We all pay a lot of money each year to join these schemes and when my solicitor gave me this information, it started me thinking is it really worth the money we all pay out.
 09 May 2010 06:48 AM

normcall

Let' be honest, if you are part of one of the schemes and then resigned, would your customers suddenly go elsewhere? Of course they wouldn't.
A lot of my original customer base have died off, but I'm now working through their children and childrens' children etc., add in friends and workmates...........

Norman
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.