Increase font size
Topic Title: Hard drawn copper cable
Topic Summary: Overheads !
Created On: 24 February 2010 08:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 February 2010 08:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

slittle

Does anyone know of a supplier for hard drawn copper overhead ?. Our wholesalers all said "what's that ??".

We need about 100m of 14mm 7strand to overcome a pole issue (it's got to be moved !).

SWA and burial is not an alternative and nor is SWA overhead due to the spans and load.

I am wondering about 4 platt ABC Ali that the DNO's use know as I'm sure that's fairly easily purchased, but will have an electro-chemical issue where it reconnects to copper unless someone can give me a solution to that.

Stu
 24 February 2010 10:35 PM

peteTLM

Who has a private pole network?

P

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 24 February 2010 11:00 PM

alancapon

Originally posted by: slittle
Does anyone know of a supplier for hard drawn copper overhead ?. Our wholesalers all said "what's that ??".

It should be possible to get hold of HD Copper wire. I will see if I can find a supplier for you tomorrow.

I am wondering about 4 platt ABC Ali that the DNO's use know as I'm sure that's fairly easily purchased, but will have an electro-chemical issue where it reconnects to copper unless someone can give me a solution to that.

Using ABC instead of HDC is an option. You will need to use a larger aluminium conductor for the same current / volt drop compared to copper. The answer for the connections is brass connectors. This will reduce the corrosion down to almost zero.

Regards,

Alan.
 25 February 2010 07:09 AM

normcall

Be prepared to remake the aluminium connections. Our overhead has been 'upgraded' twice and each time a shower of sparks after a few days suggested something was amiss.
The last time (just before christmas) I even told the guys to make sure it was good and tight. Some hope, the linesmen had to come out at 1am to remake. I still have the remains, nice aluminium core with copper braid chucked into next door garden.

Norman
 25 February 2010 10:14 AM

impvan

Last lot I had was by Doncaster cables via CEF.

>> Who has a private pole network?

I got a couple of customers with little trading estates, which were once RAF accommodation camps.
All overhead, all private, all original 40's, all quite lively when it's wet....
 25 February 2010 12:01 PM

deleted_1_ruthsmart

If you use an Al cable you could use a bimetallic crimp to connect between the copper and aluminium.
If you decide to go that way then let me know the sizes as I know who makes them :-)
 25 February 2010 12:05 PM

deleted_1_ruthsmart

If you use an Al cable you could use a bimetallic crimp to connect between the copper and aluminium.
If you decide to go that way then let me know the sizes as I know who makes them :-)
 25 February 2010 06:06 PM

ArthurHall

Cleaveland cables might be worth a try.
In the past I have used a steel catenary wire with a SWA or unarmoured cable attached to it with leather straps. The straps were designed for the job but I cant remember who made them.
If you are making copper to aluminium joints use the proper bi-metal connectors as stated above, and in addition make sure the aluminium is above the copper. Otherwise copper salts can be washed down and corrode the aluminium
 25 February 2010 08:00 PM

slittle

Thanks all...

Pete, lots of farms out here in rural essex have private overhead networks. It's getting more unusual as the h&s experts insist we bury them, trouble is when they are in the air generally nothing hits them (or if it does we know about it). When it's in the ground, they dig it up...

Stu
 25 February 2010 08:25 PM

peteTLM

thanks stu. Its not something ive seen. I live in essex but never had the pleasure of working on anything overhead.
Its more wine bars and shiny 4x4's where i am rather than proper essex!

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 25 February 2010 08:34 PM

slittle

Pete

The 4x4's in my bit are generally a bit less shiny. One of my better customers has a top spec range rover (got to be 40K I would have thought), Last time I got in, there was two inches of mud on the floor, and the outside colour was muddy brown....

Working on it is easy, as long as you remember if you drop anything, you've got to go and get it !

Stu
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.