Increase font size
Topic Title: raf resettlement
Topic Summary:
Created On: 26 October 2012 08:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 October 2012 08:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

robwheeler83

Morning ladies and gents,

hopefully i've put this in the correct section, anyway to the point i am currently serving in the RAF as an avionics technician having joined up in early 2004 and later being multiskilled to avionics at a later date.

As my current period of service expires in early 2016 my mind has begun to look at what to do in the future and a seemingly logical thing to do that i will enjoy is to become an electrician.

my question is how relevant is my hands on experience as an aircraft technician on aircraft electrical systems and how relevant are the qualifications i have gained (an advanced mordern apprenticeship) in aircraft systems and components consisting of a lvl3 nvq and a double award btec level 3 in aerospace engineering along with level 2 key skills)

I will be given a period of resettlement training and still have two elc's to fund any more training courses that would be beneficial to complete so i'm not really too worried about the qualification side however it's the hands on relevant experience i am more concerned about or will my training and experience be relevant enough?

regards

Rob Wheeler
 27 October 2012 09:31 PM

westonpa

Their relevancy will depend on the type of job you take up but in any area RAF experience will be well respected. By 2016 hopefully the economy will have picked up. Closer to the time speak with some technical agencies and register your CV on a jobs website etc. Obviously if you go into civil aviation I would think your skills and experience are more likely to be even more valuable.

Regards.
 31 October 2012 02:11 PM

dobbo5907

Hi,

I was in a similar position as a electronics technician in the army who left in 2004. For my resettlement i did the domestic electrical course, this gave 16th edition at the time and 2391( due to my lack of testing experience though i failed this) also some basic house hold wiring practice.
Dependant on what you want to do in civvi life, the training you have recieved in the RAF will put you in good stead, i never really thought about it till i got out but the forces give you as alot of training which costs you nothing.
If you achieved a certain rank that will help as management experience and confidennce can do wonders in a world where some civvis arent as motivated as a job is just a job to them, this you will find out for yourself.
After leaving i started in a factory maintenance role after blagging the interview, but found this not to my liking as i was stuck inside all day, i have tried alot of different roles all which have helped my experience which now ive moved into a senior project engineer role which i really enjoy, trying to progress my carrier as ive hit that age( basically getting older and dont want to work on the tools as much) where i dont want academics to hold me up.(currently doing my HND distance learning at Blackburn). Even contract roles will be good as you can learn on a variety of jobs.
Best advice is take what interview advice the RAF resstlement give you and dont limit your options by worrying about location at first and you should be fine. What ever you choose Good luck i hope its a success.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.