IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Recent Post Graduate Looking for Job? Please Advice?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 29 September 2012 10:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 September 2012 10:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dkanupuru

Hello to all community members,

I'm from india, did bachelors in electrical and electronics engineering from recognized indian university and now recently completed my masters degree in Electronic engineering from UK university and now I'm looking for fulltime job in UK. By the way I got my post study working visa which is valid until may 2014.

So now I'm totally confused from where to start after checking many career websites. As I got only 8-9months work experience in india in which I would believe it wont work out in UK, so apparently when applying for UK companies I beleive that they wont consider me without experience. Finally I'm panicked and struggling to find companies which will accept my applications and which has sponsership status that would give me a visa extension for further stay and work.

Any advices would be much appreciated as I really need your help to kick start my career.

Thanks in advance.
 30 September 2012 11:26 AM

amillar

Have you looked at KTP opportunities www.ktponline.org.uk/? This is a UK Government supported scheme designed to move postgraduates into industry. Will give you 1 to 2 years experience after which you will be far more employable.

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 30 September 2012 02:26 PM

westonpa

You will need to also check the UKBA 'employer' sponsor list to make sure the company you will be wanting to work for in 2014 will be on it.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov...pbsregisterofsponsors

Upload your CV to http://www.reed.co.uk/ and make it searchable.

Regards.
 01 October 2012 10:15 PM

westonpa

Not sure why you cannot get a job because yet another report by the Royal Academy of Engineering speaks about skill shortages in engineering. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19760351

Regards.
 02 October 2012 09:20 AM

amillar

Unfortunately this report is a bit vague on actual skills shortages right now, as far as I can see all they say is:
There is good econometric evidence that the demand for graduate engineers exceeds supply and the demand is pervasive across the economy. The evidence can be seen in a persistent, sizeable wage premium for people holding engineering degrees and this premium has grown over the last 20 years. There are also premia offered for other (but not all) STEM graduates but the size of the premium varies.

I'm sure we'd all love to see this "persistent, sizeable wage premium"! I have heard anecdotally that such a premium applies to STEM graduates entering the finance sector, but that's hardly the point.

Edit: Reading through again I've now seen the source of this data, it is from this report http://www.raeng.org.uk/news/r...ns_and_Occupations.pdf. I haven't got time to read it right now as I really should be getting some work done!

Don't get me wrong, there is certainly a shortage of good engineers at the moment, but there doesn't seem to be a shortage of engineering graduates. What none of us can work out is how to turn one into the other, or rather how to fund turning one into the other.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert

Edited: 02 October 2012 at 09:31 AM by amillar
 02 October 2012 12:37 PM

amillar

Ok, now I've had a chance to read the source report some interesting stuff emerges. Emphases are mine.
These average benefits from working in a STE [science, technology and engineering] occupation may however vary by level of occupation and as discussed earlier we may be confounding level of occupation with subject area. We therefore estimate separate models for those in professional occupations (NS-SEC Group 1), managerial occupations (NS-SEC Group 2) and those in occupations below managerial (all other NS-SEC Groups). In other words we determine the value of working in a STE occupation for professional, managerial and other occupations separately. These results are presented in Table 8. A very interesting pattern emerges. Those in professional or indeed in managerial STE occupations earn less than those in non STE occupations at the same level (the coefficients are negative and statistically significant). However, below managerial level there is a very large benefit from working in a STE occupation: those in STE occupations below managerial level earn 17% more than those not in STE occupations. When we break this overall STE effect out to consider science, technology and engineering separately (and combinations of these groups) we find these patterns still hold. Generally those in STE occupations below managerial level earn more than those in non STEM occupations at a similar level.

Department of Quantitative Social Science, Institute of Education
"The labour market value of STEM qualifications and occupations" Page 21

So if (as the "Jobs and Growth" report suggests) salaries are an indication of skills shortages, this suggests there is not a shortage of professional engineers, but there is a shortage of technician / craftspeople.

02 October 2012 06:18 PM

westonpa

My concern is that it is these types of headlines which may cause young people to go into an engineering university education and then come out the other end having expected to easily get a job and then who end up dissapointed, having invested their money and time.

Regards.
 16 October 2012 07:48 AM

samasama

Hi, dkanupuru. My question is: Uk is the only country that you are considering to stay and continue to work there or you are still thinking. Just in case if you did not make up your mind regarding the country yes, I would suggest to try Canada or Australia. As I know in Canada for example skill workers with your degree are in high demand, and many companies are hiring workers from outside of Canada. Check this route, maybe it will be helpful. Good luck!
 16 October 2012 10:08 AM

dkanupuru

Originally posted by: samasama

Hi, dkanupuru. My question is: Uk is the only country that you are considering to stay and continue to work there or you are still thinking. Just in case if you did not make up your mind regarding the country yes, I would suggest to try Canada or Australia. As I know in Canada for example skill workers with your degree are in high demand, and many companies are hiring workers from outside of Canada. Check this route, maybe it will be helpful. Good luck!

Hi samasama,

Thank you very much for your advice. At the moment started job search in UK and got couple of calls and still waiting for final replies. By the way I am not concerned about the location. I would love to take any opportunity anywhere in the world. But the only issue is I have heard that Canada and Australia have recently changed their immigration rules and I am not sure where to start from.
I did go through their immigration websites but nothing was clear to me there to know.
I would still be happy to receive any advice regarding foreign jobs search. Please let me know.

Thanks.
 16 October 2012 10:28 AM

dkanupuru

Originally posted by: amillar

Have you looked at KTP opportunities www.ktponline.org.uk/? This is a UK Government supported scheme designed to move postgraduates into industry. Will give you 1 to 2 years experience after which you will be far more employable.

Originally posted by: westonpa

You will need to also check the UKBA 'employer' sponsor list to make sure the company you will be wanting to work for in 2014 will be on it.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov...isterofsponsors

Hi amillar and westonpa,

Firstly thanks to both for your advice and secondly I am sorry as I was not able to reply immediately.
However upon amillar's advice I have gone thru KTP website and applied for two jobs and I am waiting for reply.But I am still afraid about my visa status as I only got 18months to stay and I don't think they would consider my application.Anyways I have to wait for final verdict.

Hello westonpa, upon your advice I did check the sponsor companies but most of the companies are not listing their vacancies on their websites instead I believe they handover to recruitment agencies.So however I thought of going for online job portals to make applications.

Everything going fine except my qualifications and visa status. Because for most of the jobs I am over qualified and have concerns about my visa stay. There are some jobs which are looking for good marks.So that's how I am ending up in some situations.

Finally the only truth I believe in is in this world everyone should start from lower position or small company to climb the ladder and I also believe that there will be someone to give me a job to start.

Fingers crossed

Still you guys have any suggestions,please let me know thanks.
 16 October 2012 11:59 AM

amillar

If you are successful in a KTP application they will sort (or help sort) your visa.

Good luck!

21 December 2012 05:00 PM

EFOCA

Is there any networking in the States here?
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.